Scott Adams

Glutenase Alv003 Protects Celiacs Against Gut Damage From Gluten - Celiac.com

Rate this topic

Celiac.com

Glutenase ALV003 Protects Celiacs Against Gut Damage from Gluten

Celiac.com

Celiac.com 06/02/2014 - Despite following a gluten-free diet, many people with celiac disease continue to have symptoms, and to suffer from ongoing small intestinal inflammation. Can a drug be created to alleviate such symptoms and inflammation, and ...

View the full article

I just don't think stuff like that will be safe for celiacs. Will protecting my villi also protect me from hair loss, arthritis, osteopenia, cognitive issues, migraines and constipation?  I think something else is going on in a celiac besides villi damage... just my opinion though.

I just don't think stuff like that will be safe for celiacs. Will protecting my villi also protect me from hair loss, arthritis, osteopenia, cognitive issues, migraines and constipation?  I think something else is going on in a celiac besides villi damage... just my opinion though.

When I heard the researchers talking about this, they said some things not mentioned in the article.

They said it wasn't meant to make it so Celiacs could eat gluten.  It was meant to take when you eat out as gluten-free as possible  or traveling to help with a little accidental gluten.

The way it works is, it breaks the gluten down in the stomach into pieces that the body doesn't detect as gluten.  Therefore, no antibody reaction.  One way to measure that is to look for villi damage.  Obviously, it must be taken with the food to work.

These are the things they are studying before they know if it works for certain.It does look promising as tool but not as a "cure".

I think the headline doesn't properly encompass the scope of the findings.  But over generalized headlines are not uncommon.   From the last section of the article..... "ALV003 did provide significant protection against gluten-induced gut damage for people with celiac disease on an otherwise gluten-free diet"

When I heard the researchers talking about this, they said some things not mentioned in the article.

They said it wasn't meant to make it so Celiacs could eat gluten.  It was meant to take when you eat out as gluten-free as possible  or traveling to help with a little accidental gluten.

The way it works is, it breaks the gluten down in the stomach into pieces that the body doesn't detect as gluten.  Therefore, no antibody reaction.  One way to measure that is to look for villi damage.  Obviously, it must be taken with the food to work.

These are the things they are studying before they know if it works for certain.It does look promising as tool but not as a "cure".

That would make more sense!  :)  The article sounded like it was just protecting the intestines, which is why I wondered how effective it would be overall.  Thanks.

I think the headline doesn't properly encompass the scope of the findings.  But over generalized headlines are not uncommon.   From the last section of the article..... "ALV003 did provide significant protection against gluten-induced gut damage for people with celiac disease on an otherwise gluten-free diet"

It was partially that line that made me think it was just prevention of intestinal damage.... they missed a lot of info.