kareng

Frito Lay Recall - Oven Baked Bbq

Rate this topic

On Monday, June 2, 2014 Frito-Lay initiated the voluntary recall of select 1 1/8 oz. packages of Oven Baked Lay’s BBQ. The product is being recalled because its package face is incorrectly labeled with the Frito-Lay gluten-free (gluten-free) logo, while the ingredient panel and disclosures on the back of the packaging correctly indicate that the product contains wheat and barley. As a result, there could be confusion whether this product is gluten free. This was an isolated incident and we are putting parameters in place to prevent this from occurring again.

The affected product was sold to our foodservice and vending customers, as well as club retailers as one of the products included in the Baked! & Popped Mix 30 ct. Variety Pack Tray and Baked! Mix 30 ct. Variety Pack Cube. We have notified the FDA, as well as all of our relevant customers and partners, and we are working quickly to retrieve the product.

http://www.fritolay.com/your-health/us-products-not-containing-gluten-ingredients.html

Celiacs should really pay attention to this.  Although I stay away from BBQ flavors anyway, they usually have gluten, many newer Celiacs may not catch the mistake and not read the label.  

Thanks.

Colleen

This is a good reminder that no matter what else the label may say, it is important to always read the ingredients of what we buy. This simple rule will keep us from getting hit by mistakes like this, or by companies who mislabel things out of ignorance.

I guess it's a good thing I'm still overly paranoid and read every label in detail. That would drive me nuts. As for the ignorance, I did find something at a store the other day that was in the "gluten free" section that I brought to the manager and showed him the gluten in the ingredients.