ezgoindude

Glutened Myself Bad, Any Tips On Surviving?!?

Rate this topic

Good morning guys,

I am currently finishing a family trip from vegas/Denver/sturgis and it was my first vacation gluten free. ... Or so I thought

My family made a very good effort to find placed to eat while driving, which still centered around salads but they found a spot that had sweet potato fries.

I am still new to this and spaced on asking the ingredients of what I thought should be just sweet potato and discovered they are splashed in flour before frying.......

I am freaked because it was on the third time eating the fries did I make this discovery...

What do you guys take to calm the reaction?

I am in no pain, but I'm back to absorbing nothing, I am having incredible bouts of diarrhea. Like food poisoning violent, lol

And as if I was freakin skinny enough! Argh

Pepto Bismol has been my best friend lately.  I have bottles of it everywhere! In my car, purse, house, parents' home, friend's homes, literally everywhere. Seems to really help calm my intestines and helps with that awful burning.

I would stay away from fried foods in general, unless they only fry gluten free foods in the oil.. too much cross contamination.

Sorry your vacation had to end on such a bad note, hope you feel better.

Glad to hear that so far at least you aren't in a lot of pain. If you are still traveling you could try some Immodium tablets to stop the D. If you are back home and can do so you might want to just let the D run it's course. Drink plenty of fluids and try to eat stuff you know you tolerate well. I hope the trip otherwise was fun and that you recover soon. Many of us find on road trips it is a good idea to take plenty of safe food from home and eat as little in unfamiliar restaurants as we can. I always bring a hot plate, a pan and some cans of Dinty Moore beef stew, nut butter, fruit and my favorite bread at the very least. 

Yea, I walked into a safeway in Wyoming asking for almond butter and their face was priceless, it's as if I invented the stuff myself....

I was rushed this trip and forgot all food but bananas.

Yea we still have 6 hours of driving, yea I'll have to grab pepto or Imodium, It's only been day two of symptoms and I'm assuming it's probably going to get worse before better? I would rather take pepto if it helps with burning, the doc had me on ppis last time which had odd effects on my platelet count.