Rate this topic

Could you provide a link to the product info? I don't have a kroger here.

Red beans and rice is super tasty! I make dishes like that alot but i always change it up. Do you have a crock pot or other slow cooker? I would imagine it would be pretty easy just to throw everything in there and let it cook all day. You would also save  yourself from weird unknown ingredients and certainly be able to make it with less sodium.

Red beans are one of the easiest dishes to make, and you can control your flavor! Boil dry beans and onion. Add a good bit of garlic powder and salt. then add any other seasoning you like. Add sausage at the end of your boil and that's it! Definitely a Louisiana favorite : )

I just discovered that jennie O has a gluten free turkey keilbasa, so i might have to try this out soon in my slow cooker!

Lmcdoiron- is there usually celery in it? Someone told me once that there was. Do they use smoked paprika for the color?

I don't use celery or paprika. When it's been cooking for a couple of hours, the beans are nice and dark. The typical Louisiana seasoning blend is usually onions, bell peppers, and celery. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I do just onion. It's a matter of preference. I use more flavors when I make white beans because they're so mild in flavor. Salt meat is amazing in beans, too!

OK, folks. You need a southern voice here.

Soak dried beans overnight and discard any that float.

Saute the trinity (2 parts onion, 1 part bell pepper, 1 part celery) until soft, not brown.

Add beans and enough water to cook. Simmer most of the day. This can be done in a slow cooker if you don't want to stay home all day.

When beans are soft, mash about a third of them.

Brown a good smoked sausage.

Cook rice. Serve beans over rice and put the sausage on top.

Sorry, I didn't notice your name. I was mainly replying to those seeking a canned solution. I am in central Mississippi, so "Hello, neighbor".