michellec26

Reaction To Bragg's Products

Rate this topic

Hi Everyone: I'm new here, but not new to Celiac disease.  I joined because I've had a relapse of sorts. I have been getting cross contamination for probably several months several months of cross contamination. It's my own fault, there was warning, I hadn't had a problem with the item for years, until I started having a problem with it. I'm on the mend now and I've been feeling great for almost 3 weeks now.

Last night, I had terrible gastritis which I think came from some Bragg's salad dressing. I don't have any fatigue or stiffness, so I don't think it is a gluten reaction. I also had some discomfort a few weeks ago from a stir fry I made with Bragg's Amino's because I was out of Tamari. At the time, I thought it was because of my delicate state and the age of the Bragg's that was in my kitchen cabinet.  I don't think my issue is with soy, because 3 days ago I made seared tuna with a Tamari glaze, made with San-J Tamari, and I felt wonderful, and I've never had a reaction any soy products, although I try not to eat too much soy. I think the issue for me is with Bragg's Amino's themselves. Today, I started to look up each of the amino acids listed on the label. The very first one is often derived from dairy and sometimes oats. I can't tolerate either of those. That was enough for me: Bragg's products are out for me. 

As I'm writing this, I see the ad for crunch master crackers, which I love, but have also had problems with, probably due to my own carelessness. Some of the flavors contain dairy (any with cheese on the label is easy enough to spot) but I had a terrible reaction to the Sea Salt crackers, because they contain oat flour, and I didn't read carefully enough. 

Some days I really get tired of being the canary in the coal mine, but all I can do is try to better research before I put something in my mouth! 

A reaction to dairy or gluten-free oats does not mean the item contains gluten. The Crunchmaster crackers I get, don't have oats.

Yes, I am aware of that. I never said that a reaction to dairy or gluten free oats means the items contain gluten. Some of us cannot tolerate oats at all. And since oats are not listed as an allergen anywhere, it's easy to miss them, especially when other flavors of the same brand are cause no problems. I am finding that more and more gluten-free products are using oats. It's easy to spot dairy or other allergens, but for those of us Celiacs who cannot tolerate oats in any form, their increased prevalence is something to be aware of.

I believe I said that the only flavor of Crunch Master that has oats in it (that doesn't also have dairy) was the sea salt flavor. I have had no problems with their multi-seed crackers. I didn't say I had a gluten reaction, rather in my attempt to avoid gluten, I ingested other things to which I react because they were not easy to spot. I thought that might be useful to any Celiacs who are also sensitive to dairy and oats.

In the case of Braggs, there is absolutely nothing on the label that would appear to be a problem for me, in either the regular Aminos, or the salad dressing which lists: Olive Oil, Bragg's Aminos, Cider Vinegar, Sesame Seeds, Garlic, and Ginger. I have no reactions to any of those things. I had to look up the specific amino acids and research the sources of their derivations before I stumbled onto the things that I can't tolerate. I didn't look them all up, either, so it is entirely possible that some of them are wheat derived. I just posted it in case anyone was having a similar issue and might find the information helpful. 

Perhaps I should have posted on a different thread? 

This is a celiac website - so when you say you had a reaction to things & a Celiac relapse - naturally people reading along assume you mean a gluten reaction. Many won't read past the title, so , even my clarifying post won't matter.

Sorry you ate something that bothers you.

Hi Michelle,

When you develop an insensitivity to a food, whack the food and go with an alternative.  

A good substitution for salad dressing could be lemon juice and olive oil, or vinegar and olive oil.  If you want to make it tastier, add herbs or mustard.  In a few months, if you're feeling brave and adventurous, try the Bragg.s again.  Good luck.