Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

HavaneseMom

Has Anyone Tried The Migraine Diet?

Rate this topic

Hi Everyone,

I was told by my ENT doc a couple of years ago that I have a constant low grade migraine. My symptoms have been worse than usual lately and my primary care doc sent me home with a handout for a "Migraine Diet". It has me eliminating things like cheese, nuts, nitrates, canned food, etc. I am wondering if anyone has tried it and had success or if there is anything you have tried that has relieved a long term headache? I think I have had it for about 10 years now, possibly longer, but the intensity is definitely getting worse over time.

I wake up every morning with what feels like a major hang over, but I never drink. My head feel like it's full of cement and I have a ton of sinus, head and eye pressure. I'm super sensitive to light and noise too. My stomach can't tolerate pain pills, so I just deal with it the best I can, but I would love for the headache to be gone.

Any tips or suggestions any one who has had headaches like this has I would love to hear. I am fully gluten free, so I'm pretty certain cross contamination is not the issue with this particular problem.

Thanks in advance!

Yes! My 12year old son has been on this for several years due to terrible migraines. We were thankful to find his trigger. He stays away from nitrates which are found in processed meats. That seems to be the main trigger although we watch the caffeine intake also. They make nitrate free lunch meat, bacon, pepperoni and hotdogs so it is not too bad for him. Record what u are eating so that maybe it will be easier to track when u have symptoms. It took several months to clear his body of nitrates after we started the diet as he kept having mini symptoms. He can't function if he doesn't follow the diet.

Hope this is helpful.

Renaye

Yes! My 12year old son has been on this for several years due to terrible migraines. We were thankful to find his trigger. He stays away from nitrates which are found in processed meats. That seems to be the main trigger although we watch the caffeine intake also. They make nitrate free lunch meat, bacon, pepperoni and hotdogs so it is not too bad for him. Record what u are eating so that maybe it will be easier to track when u have symptoms. It took several months to clear his body of nitrates after we started the diet as he kept having mini symptoms. He can't function if he doesn't follow the diet.

Hope this is helpful.

Renaye

Hi Renaye,

Thank you so much for replying with this information. It's very helpful and encouraging to hear that this diet helped your son so much. I didn't really want to go on yet another restrictive diet just to see what happens, so it's great to hear that it has worked so well for someone. It's also helpful to know that it took several months for his symptoms to fully resolve, so I won't give up on it if I don't see results right away.

I have been trying to notice if any foods are making my headache worse, and I have noticed that cheese brings on congestion and a more severe headache, so I'm pretty sure that I will see some improvement on this elimination diet. Hopefully it will make a huge difference like it does for your son. I'm glad to hear he found the source of his migraines and he feels so much better now!