This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can Someone Reccommend On A Gluten-Free Vacation In Europe ?

yairzo1

yairzo1 Newbie

Hi everyone,

Can someone reccommend on a gluten-free vacation in west Europe ?

We would like to go for 1 week, to stay in one or two places that serves gluten-free food.

The food should be also oat-free, and we also need an option for vegetarians.

I'll appreciate information from fyour personal experience.

Thanks in advance,

Yair.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KCG91 Enthusiast

I can't recommend anywhere specifically but within Europe I've heard that Spain and Italy are very good about gluten-free food provision and labelling. I'm from the UK and I think we do a pretty good job too ;) I know of a few gluten free B&Bs here. 

• 4 weeks later...
amber Explorer

I remember looking at this place a few years back. It is a chateau in France which specifically caters for those on a gluten free diet.

www.chateaudevillars.com

The awareness of gluten free in Europe is very good in  places like Italy and Scandinavia plus the UK and Ireland.    You need to narrow down where you want to go and then do some research about those places.  We went on a Mediterranean cruise which was also a great idea as the cruise line (Royal Carribbean) were very good with gluten-free.   When we visited cities in Italy we had no problem in finding gluten free. Make sure you take translation cards which you can get online.  We didn't use them as the waiters all  knew what it was in the places we visited.  Italy and Ireland have the highest rate of Celiac in the world so therefore the awareness and availability is higher than some other European countries.    If you go to Italy the gluten-free free products are mainly found in  pharmacies rather than supermarkets.

yairzo1 Newbie

I remember looking at this place a few years back. It is a chateau in France which specifically caters for those on a gluten free diet.

www.chateaudevillars.com

The awareness of gluten free in Europe is very good in  places like Italy and Scandinavia plus the UK and Ireland.    You need to narrow down where you want to go and then do some research about those places.  We went on a Mediterranean cruise which was also a great idea as the cruise line (Royal Carribbean) were very good with gluten-free.   When we visited cities in Italy we had no problem in finding gluten free. Make sure you take translation cards which you can get online.  We didn't use them as the waiters all  knew what it was in the places we visited.  Italy and Ireland have the highest rate of Celiac in the world so therefore the awareness and availability is higher than some other European countries.    If you go to Italy the gluten-free free products are mainly found in  pharmacies rather than supermarkets.

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I will do gluten-free research on Italy. If I find something worth mentioning, I'll add it here.

Yair.

• 2 weeks later...
WinterSong Community Regular

There was an article in the NY Times recently about how wonderful Italy is for gluten free travelers. Italy would be my pick!

kenlove Rising Star

italy is very advanced when it comes to serving  gluten-free meals and has national certification for restaurants around the country.

These places must have dedicated kitchens  and its all good.   You can  find lists of restaurants  online that are certified gluten-free.

Germany was a little  harder.  Many are aware of it in Spain but they didnt  really get a lot of it. I still got  bread served with my gluten-free meals. sometimes.  Italy was the easiest place to  live  gluten-free as even train stations have selections as do all pharmacies.

have a great trip

Hi everyone,

Can someone reccommend on a gluten-free vacation in west Europe ?

We would like to go for 1 week, to stay in one or two places that serves gluten-free food.

The food should be also oat-free, and we also need an option for vegetarians.

I'll appreciate information from fyour personal experience.

Thanks in advance,

Yair.

RobCu Newbie

Hi Yair,

Last month I went to Barcelona with my wife who has celiac disease and my daughter with multiple food allergies and we had one of our best culinary experiences ever!

We found this website Open Original Shared Link where you can make online reservations to any of their restaurants specifically trained to cater people with food allergies and intolerances. We were able to try local cuisine without worrying about our dietary restrictions.

At the restaurant, the chef knew we were coming and prepared a special menu for us. It was the best restaurant experience we ever had!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived