This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Probiotics - How To Use, Should I Use?

cristiana

cristiana Veteran

Hi everyone.  

My nutritionalist has put me onto a very strong dose of Probiotics which I am supposed to take, once daily, on an empty stomach.   I have had problems with trapped wind and she is of the view that because in the last 18 months I have had to take three rounds of antibiotics, not to mention having experienced a lot of D around the time of my diagnosis in that time, my gut needs some good bacteria.

However, I only took one of these expensive probiotics yesterday morning, on an empty stomach, and last night my gut was churning and I had D. this morning.  I am scared to take any more but was told by the person that sold me this stuff in the shop that it might upset my stomach at first.

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of thing - I mean, do you think it might be best to take them alternate days to begin with?  I feel like I have gone back to bad old days of being an undiagnosed celiac!

The type I am taking is "bacteria lactobacillus - plantarum, rhamnosus and salivarius" and it is hypoallergenic according to the label - gluten isn't mentioned at all.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

I'm a  VERY strong  supporter  of  probiotics  &  digestive  enzymes   for  celiac...  What   do you  consider  a  high strong  dose?  many    contain  50,000  to over  200,000  &  are  considered   fine....  These  little  gems  restore  the  natural  flora  in our  systems..  Think of them  as  healthy  ( superman)  who  are  fighting  off  the  invaders( evils)  in our  bodies...They keep  our  intestinal tract  clean  &  healthy....Our  doc  has  always  told  us to take them on a  empty  stomach so  we  usually  take  them  before  bed...   At  first  we  needed  more  times  a  day but  now  we  are only  once  per  day..... FOr  me  I  would  let  them  do  there  job  for  a  few  weeks  &  then  ask  doctor  about backing  off to  a  lower  level but  not  stopping...  I  sometimes  forget  a  night  here & there  but  usually  always  supply  my body  with  them &  the  digestive  enzymes  to help  break  down  the  carbs, proteins  &  such...

anyone  who has been on  an  antibiotic  regime  needs  these  as  well....as  antibiotics  kill off  our  good  gut  flora...  never  take  antibiotic   &  probiotics  ,  there  needs  to be  a  three to hour   wait  time  between  the two...

cristiana Veteran

I'm a  VERY strong  supporter  of  probiotics  &  digestive  enzymes   for  celiac...  What   do you  consider  a  high strong  dose?  many    contain  50,000  to over  200,000  &  are  considered   fine....  These  little  gems  restore  the  natural  flora  in our  systems..  Think of them  as  healthy  ( superman)  who  are  fighting  off  the  invaders( evils)  in our  bodies...They keep  our  intestinal tract  clean  &  healthy....Our  doc  has  always  told  us to take them on a  empty  stomach so  we  usually  take  them  before  bed...   At  first  we  needed  more  times  a  day but  now  we  are only  once  per  day..... FOr  me  I  would  let  them  do  there  job  for  a  few  weeks  &  then  ask  doctor  about backing  off to  a  lower  level but  not  stopping...  I  sometimes  forget  a  night  here & there  but  usually  always  supply  my body  with  them &  the  digestive  enzymes  to help  break  down  the  carbs, proteins  &  such...

anyone  who has been on  an  antibiotic  regime  needs  these  as  well....as  antibiotics  kill off  our  good  gut  flora...  never  take  antibiotic   &  probiotics  ,  there  needs  to be  a  three to hour   wait  time  between  the two...

Hi mawmaw.   The Nutritional Facts on the back state, "Serving Size 1 Capsule - L plantarum (SD1) 10 Billion; L salvirarius (ATCC 11741) 4 Billion and L rhamnosus (TP) 3 Billion.  It also says the RDA has not yet been established!  Compared with those figures you have given me it seems that these might be far too strong?  How can there be Billions in such manageable capsules, the mind boggles.  

mamaw Community Regular

I  don't  think  yours  is  to  strong  so  I think  you  good  without worry of  that  issue.... lots  of  things  boggle  my  mind!!!  Like  celiac!!!!!  Keep  taking  your  little  gems!!!!!!  Do  a  google  search  for  probiotics  &  digestive  enzymes  ,,  you will be  pleasantly  surprised  at  how  the  human  body loves  them.......  our  kitty  also  takes  probiotics  &  enzymes... I  couldn't  stand  the  grass  eating  &  then  throwing  up   all the  time....they  also are  gluten-free......in their  foods  as well.....

hugs

cristiana Veteran

Little Gems, that makes them sound even better!  I might try taking one at night, tonight then.  After all it is Sunday tomorrow so if my tummy protests I can take it easy.  I think I read somewhere that at first there is a bit of a battle going on with the good guys and the baddies so perhaps that's what's happening.  I am keen to give them a go as clearly I am not healing as well as everyone else around me has.  Strange that - and I am more scrupulous than most.  Maybe this will be my breakthrough?  If so, thank you!

StephanieL Enthusiast

Probiotics were a game changer for my DS. We were gluten-free for 3 months with no change in BM habits.  Within 3 days of starting Custom Probiotics he had his first normal BM's EVER!  (He was 3 1/2 at the time)

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I take my probiotics right away in the morning on an empty stomach.  I did experience some gassiness and bloating when I first began with L-Salivarius, but I was still eating gluten at the time. 

I have been rechecked and while at first and second checks I had no growth of good bacteria found, but the most recent check did find a mixed growth of good bacteria growing.  I have been taking Restore probiotic which only has the probiotic and no other additives or capsules.  I buy this through Azure Standard.  I sprinkle it over water with each meal.  I think it is good to switch products now and them for probiotics. 

Dee

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cristiana Veteran

So interesting, thank you.  I seem to be less upset by the latest dose, perhaps it was because I took the last lot too close to a very strong peppermint tea!  

notme Experienced

it took about 2 weeks for my gut to stop sounding like a war zone.  when i first took them, i was like:  those noises can't be good!  and i was afraid and stopped taking them for awhile until i (lolz) read the insert in the culturelle package.  :D  it's just the flora getting established and doing their job.

IrishHeart Veteran

I am a huge probiotics pusher on here  ^_^ and I highly recommend them. Damaged guts = we need to balance the gut flora.

You may feel "off" at first taking them, but it is just the "bad guys" being shoved out. (that's a really simple explanation, but you get what I mean!) 

Upon diagnosis, I had no detectable good bacteria in my gut. That's impossible, my doctor said...yeah, well, no wonder I am a mess, I thought.

I take probiotics every day and I do switch up brands and strains from time to time. 

If D is your problem, Culturelle has lactobacillis GG--which is clinically proven to stop that nonsense. 

Custom Probiotics Multistrain was the first one I used. My GI tract was a burning mess. Within a month, I was "normal" for the first time in my life. No more of the "IBS" the docs claimed I had . 

I am using Florajen 3 right now. Also very good. 

Drink a lot of water with them and soon, your body will adjust. 

cristiana Veteran

Thanks girls!  It certainly feels like a war is going on!  Good to hear from you, Irish Heart.  I have been thinking of you with my burning skin going on still.  I'm having a pelvic scan Wednesday to check this burning pain just below the surface of my skin - still no rash - and now this trapped wind isn't anything else.  By the way, I typed in skin pain on this forum last night and could not believe how many other people have been through the same thing.  I am so thankful to have this forum, and you all, it would be such a lonely scary journey otherwise.

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks girls!  It certainly feels like a war is going on!  Good to hear from you, Irish Heart.  I have been thinking of you with my burning skin going on still.  I'm having a pelvic scan Wednesday to check this burning pain just below the surface of my skin - still no rash - and now this trapped wind isn't anything else.  By the way, I typed in skin pain on this forum last night and could not believe how many other people have been through the same thing.  I am so thankful to have this forum, and you all, it would be such a lonely scary journey otherwise.

You're never alone, hon. I wish I could tell you why you are still burning in that area, but a pelvic scan is a good idea to help rule out some things.

Inflammation could be causing this problem and honestly, probiotics reduce inflammation in the gut, so maybe if you stay on them for a bit, you will see more progress overall.

Do let us know how you make out.!!

cristiana Veteran

You're never alone, hon. I wish I could tell you why you are still burning in that area, but a pelvic scan is a good idea to help rule out some things.

Inflammation could be causing this problem and honestly, probiotics reduce inflammation in the gut, so maybe if you stay on them for a bit, you will see more progress overall.

Do let us know how you make out.!!

Will do - and thank you! x

cristiana Veteran

Hi Irish Heart.  Reporting back to say scan went well, and probiotics beginning to work!  Wish I had taken them a year ago!  They seem to make me feel a tiny bit nauseous but perhaps that is just me thinking about it too much.  But will persevere as I think the benefits are worth it. Thanks so much for your support. 

IrishHeart Veteran

Hi Irish Heart.  Reporting back to say scan went well, and probiotics beginning to work!  Wish I had taken them a year ago!  They seem to make me feel a tiny bit nauseous but perhaps that is just me thinking about it too much.  But will persevere as I think the benefits are worth it. Thanks so much for your support. 

Drink more water and this should pass. Also, "they say" ^_^ you should take them on an empty stomach, but i honestly can't see why you can't take them

with food. Maybe that will help. 

notme Experienced

Drink more water and this should pass. Also, "they say" ^_^ you should take them on an empty stomach, but i honestly can't see why you can't take them

with food. Maybe that will help. 

i have a combination one from walgreens that is probiotic plus digestive enzymes that i take with food (because of the enzymes)  it just says to take it once per day so it's my lunch meal enzyme.  then culturelle at night before i go to bed and just enzymes with breakfast, supper and snacks.  it's a wierd combination, i know, but it is working great :)  it took alot of experimenting.  o, and lots and lots of water, as irish has suggested :)

millerb68 Newbie

I am not sure there is such a thing as a "too strong" probiotic. I was just prescribed one that has 112.5 billion cultures per capsule!  I was found to have a bacterial infection and low levels of good bacteria.

As others have said, the discomfort and symptoms are the flora getting reestablished in your gut. It is uncomfortable for a few days, but it's because good things are happening! Stick it out, and you should feel better soon.

Archived