Rate this topic

So a friend is bringing me some home made vanilla ice cream. She is using organic milk so there is no corn contamination from vitamin D fortification. But she just mentioned that she has used a recipe in the past that had flour in it. So my question is, can an ice cream maker that has had flour in it ever be cleaned well enough to prevent CC? I won't turn the ice cream down and hurt her feelings, but if it isn't safe I'll be giving it away later. (She's bringing it to my shop where I have no freezer so I'll be running home with it as soon as she brings it, while a friend watches the shop for a few minutes.)

But if it IS safe it'll be a great treat.

Honestly, if I thought my friend was capable of thoroughly cleaning her appliances AND she had made many things in it since the recipe

with the flour (so it has been washed many many times) I would say that I would eat it.

My ice cream maker has a metal bowl and a hard plastic paddle. I can't see where any "trapped wheat flour" could hide.

I have to ask though...what ice cream recipe would possibly contain wheat? Did she use cookies in it or something ? Just curious!

I agree that if it has been a while and it is thoroughly cleaned in between uses you should be fine.  Ice cream makers wouldn't be ideal if they had nooks and crannies for things to hide in and not get churned with the rest of the batch.  Almost all commercial ice creams are made on shared equipment, since there is no poofy flour factor going on, it is much easier to clean off.

I guess the recipe was this or something similar: http://www.cooks.com/recipe/ry11s5l5/homemade-vanilla-ice-cream.html

Anyway, she doesn't like that recipe as much as the one she used on this stuff she made for me. This has half and half, milk, whipping cream, organic sugar, and vanilla. I'll be going home shortly and I'm going to have some. I'll let you know how things turn out.

:D

I'm having SUCH a great day! Had delicious ice cream for breakfast, came to work and one of my students stopped in. He's showing SO much progress and MASTERED the new song I gave him only YESTERDAY! Then I was goofing around with his guitar and he told me I'm better than the best guitarist in town. (I'll take the complement!) And THEN a former "regular" who moved to Arizona a few years ago stopped in (he's on vacation here) and we played some music together.

My jaw pain has let up recently (don't worry, it'll be back :angry: .) But the vitamins I found at Shopko are doing their job so my energy level is up. So all in all, today is a BEAUTIFUL day!

:D

I'm having SUCH a great day! Had delicious ice cream for breakfast, came to work and one of my students stopped in. He's showing SO much progress and MASTERED the new song I gave him only YESTERDAY! Then I was goofing around with his guitar and he told me I'm better than the best guitarist in town. (I'll take the complement!) And THEN a former "regular" who moved to Arizona a few years ago stopped in (he's on vacation here) and we played some music together.

My jaw pain has let up recently (don't worry, it'll be back :angry: .) But the vitamins I found at Shopko are doing their job so my energy level is up. So all in all, today is a BEAUTIFUL day!

I am so, so happy to hear this news. :) I am glad the vits are helping.