Kias4

I Got Glutened - Duration Of Symptoms And Foods To Eat In Meantime?

Rate this topic

I still haven't figured out what I ate, but I got glutened by something this past weekend.  Three or four days later, I am STILL struggling with severe GI pain.  I am getting sharp pains, bloating, and cramps no matter what I eat.  I am trying to eat healthy, bland, safe foods.  Do other people experience this?  Is it normal to continue to experience GI pain for this long?  I just want to be sure I'm not re-glutening myself or getting sick from something new, rather that it's still the original glutening hurting me and I need to wait it out.

Also, are there any recommended foods to eat while dealing with a glutening?  Foods that won't further intensify GI sympsoms?  (And any foods to avoid?)

It can vary. Some feel fine in a few days whereas others take a few weeks to feel better.

L-glutamine helps with healing of the gut. You could try that.

There is a stomach flu going around my city that feels like that. We get just marginally ill but our stomachs are off. I had one kid throwing up, another has stomach pains, and I have cramping when I eat and D (I tended to get C when I was eating gluten).  Could it be a virus?

Hope you feel better!

I was just in to see my doctor today about a similar issue I'm having.  :unsure:  

Just over 2 weeks ago I suddenly started having GI symptoms and initially assumed an accidental glutening.,,,Then I started to worry thinking perhaps something else was going on b/c it seemed soooo long to still have symptoms. My doc assured me that it can take some people weeks to a month or more to see their symptoms diminish from a single exposure. She suggested I give it a bit more time and in the meantime take probiotics and stick to a BRAT diet til I start to feel better. I'm hoping it resolves soon!

And hope you feel better too!

Yes, there are many of us here that have a month or more recovery time.  Its why we don't get glutened nearly as the majority of Celiacs.  IMHO of course.

Colleen

I was in the ER on Saturday. The doc was trying to decide if I had serotonin syndrome or that nasty bug that's been going around here too. Apparently it just makes people sick as dogs, nauseous, maybe vomiting, some D, feeling generally off, headaches. They said it's pretty awful and is landing lots of people in the ER and lasts about a week or so. Sounded a lot like feeling glutened to me. (Turns out I wasn't sick from a virus... uh... not sure if thankfully or not.) Anyway, my point is that we can end up sick feeling glutened but it isn't always the culprit.

Either way, sick or glutened, lots of fluids and whatever foods you feel you can tolerate is good. It takes time for an AI reaction to die down, and like Nicole pointed out it can take a few weeks to feel better. Just hang in there, and whatever it was you'll feel better with a little time.