user001

How Many Enzyme Pills Do You Take?

Rate this topic

I got some Digest gold yesterday and it says take 1 with a meal but it says to take extra if needed. Is it normal to take more than 1? I am still new to this and I feel like my digestion is still a bit whacked out. Please tell me how I should be using these in conjunction with my gluten free diet so I can start feeling better.

The kind I take said 2 per meal.  I did that as I healed and then weaned myself off them.  I got down to pill per day when I glutened myself and had to go back up to 2 per day, one each with my higher fat meals.  I hope to get down to done if I can manage not to gluten myself again.

Dosage instructions for this one are 1 with a meal, more can be taken if needed. The problem is painful digestion, which I have brought up to my doc, but he seems to not think its a problem because all 3 times i mentioned it, he shrugged it off. The last time he said it probably was 'a little irritable bowel' well my poop has been pretty nice as of late! No D or C associated with this pain, it's just pain. It always seems to be worse with a morning meal unless I drink a protein shake. I sometimes have the pain at night after dinner but not all the time. I had a pretty big dinner last night for the first time in awhile and I took 1 and had no problems. This morning I took 1 and had some serious twinges of pain, but not nearly as bad as normal. Im curious to know if others take more than 1 dose, especially in the early months after diagnosis, which is where I am at.

After 30 years of misdiagnosis and the fact that my diagnosis was due to my own research, I have little faith in doctors. I don't want to be put on pharmaceutical drugs unless absolutely necessary and I don't want to be admitted to the hospital to have anything operated on, unless absolutely necessary.

I would start with 1 and see if that helps before doubling the dose. I sometimes get pain after eating if I accidentally get some soy. Liquid name brand Pepto Bismal stops it very quickly. Don't know if that might help you. 

I would start with 1 and see if that helps before doubling the dose. I sometimes get pain after eating if I accidentally get some soy. Liquid name brand Pepto Bismal stops it very quickly. Don't know if that might help you. 

I have been pounding the pepto for months really. Not good at all. It has become obvious that my system needs some help. I think I will try tomorrow to take 2 with breakfast, which is usually my largest meal. I only took one with breakfast today and I still had pain but it was considerably better.

I ended up opting for a liquid lunch. 2 scoops protein powder, 1/2 frozen banana, some ice and water. I took 1 enzyme with that and it 20-30 minutes later I felt much better. I just realized my protein powder has L-glutamine in it, which is supposed to be really good for us.

Until your villi heal enough to do their job of telling the pancreas when to fire.  I believe my functional nurse said that and also it would take an estimated 3- 6 months.  For me, it has been a year, but I had the levels tested with a stool test and can "afford to skip them" once in a while.  The right kind of stool test can help to determine if they are needed and if levels have gone up.

Dee

I take  digest gold  & I take  1  per  meal  unless  it is a  high  fatty  meal  then I take  two.. I've  been taking  these  & Probiotics for  years   somedays  it  is  hit & miss  but  always  one  with my  biggest  meal........