BlessedMommy

Can I Substitute Quinoa Flakes For Bread Crumbs?

Rate this topic

I use oatmeal in meatloaf in place of part of the breadcrumbs I used to use. I've never used any sort of recipe or anything though. Oatmeal and quinoa flakes are similar so I don't see why you couldn't try putting flakes in there. I know it isn't meat, but it's still burgers. Worst case scenario they turn out poorly, it won't be the first or last time that happens to any of us. Live and learn in the kitchen, don't be afraid to experiment.

last summer I was on a bit of a black bean burger kick, I swear that recipe didn't have breadcrumbs in it. Im sure quinoa flakes would work or add another egg to help it along or some cooked rice if it agrees with you.

Thanks for the input. I think that I'm going to use part bread crumbs and part quinoa flakes and see if it works.

I did google and found a recipe but it wasn't really similar to the one that I wanted to make, so I wanted to see if anyone here had actually tried it.

I'll update after I make them.

I ended up making the bean burgers and they turned out reasonably well. The quinoa flakes are not quite as neutral as bread crumbs (because of the quinoa flavor), but everybody ate the burgers just fine.

I would've preferred to have the bread crumbs, but I don't always have them on hand. Time to start turning leftover waffles into bread crumbs and freezing them, I guess.

Making your own bread crumbs is not too hard.  Take any bread (I bake my own, but any will do, and if you make your own it doesn't have to turn out pretty) and tear or cut it into pieces.  If you have time and a safe place to do so, let them air dry overnight, but you can skip this.  Put them in a casserole dish in the oven at 250, and set a timer for 30 minutes.  Stir it to shuffle the pieces, set the timer for 30 minutes again.  Keep doing this until the pieces are all dry and starting to brown.  You can even leave them in the oven overnight after you turn it off (just leave yourself a note stuck to the oven controls so you don't forget!  Not that I ever have.... :P).  Store them in a plastic bag or other container until you have time to destroy them in a food processor or blender.  If you get them completely dry, they will last a long time at room temperature.  If you make neat cubes, you can use them as croutons - saute up in olive oil with some seasoning.