This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Sensitve.... How Long To Heal....

Ramsey

Ramsey Newbie

So, I would like to know if someone out there has the same symptoms and slow recovery that I have.  Just would make me feel better if I was not alone in this.  Well, I believe I am gluten sensitive.  I had severe fatigue, brain fog, pain in my bones due to pressure, and severe bloating.   After nine months of being gluten free, I have bloating (even though it has decreased) and fatigue.  Now the real problem is the fatigue because sometimes I don't always have the strength to stand and walk around especially when I haven't just eaten.  This really destoys my quality of life because I can never go anywhere without knowing that I might feel really weak and need to sit down or lay down.  Also, I don't really feel hunger again yet, maybe because my stomach is still damaged or maybe because it is bloated.  This probably is contributing to my problem.  As I can't really tell if my body needs food until I start feeling weak.  Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had these symptoms at the nine month mark and about how much longer did it take for you to recover....?   Please help with any information.

Trying to stay motivated....Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SMRI Collaborator

I think that is the problem with celiac disease or gluten sensitivities, the symptoms could also be any number of things.  What testing have you had done?  You could have severe thyroid issues, West Nile, Lyme's, Cancer, any number of conditions.  

Ramsey Newbie

I think that is the problem with celiac disease or gluten sensitivities, the symptoms could also be any number of things.  What testing have you had done?  You could have severe thyroid issues, West Nile, Lyme's, Cancer, any number of conditions.  

So, I would like to know if someone out there has the same symptoms and slow recovery that I have.  Just would make me feel better if I was not alone in this.  Well, I believe I am gluten sensitive.  I had severe fatigue, brain fog, pain in my bones due to pressure, and severe bloating.   After nine months of being gluten free, I have bloating (even though it has decreased) and fatigue.  Now the real problem is the fatigue because sometimes I don't always have the strength to stand and walk around especially when I haven't just eaten.  This really destoys my quality of life because I can never go anywhere without knowing that I might feel really weak and need to sit down or lay down.  Also, I don't really feel hunger again yet, maybe because my stomach is still damaged or maybe because it is bloated.  This probably is contributing to my problem.  As I can't really tell if my body needs food until I start feeling weak.  Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had these symptoms at the nine month mark and about how much longer did it take for you to recover....?   Please help with any information.

Trying to stay motivated....Thanks!

Well, I was tested for everything over the course of a year, I think.  Well this is because the Docs didn't really tell me anything.  After a year I had one Doc suggest a Celiac panel.  There, I had a weak positive result from my IgG antibodies to Gliadin.  I figured I tried everything else why not give gluten free a shot.  Now, there is no doubt that my progress has been slow, but there is also no doubt that I have been getting better on a gluten free diet.   Anyway on my latest labs, my Vitamin D is a little low.  Other than that, I am in perfect health (which of course I am not).  Also I guess I should say I was an extremely prolific eater of wheat products, even when I was really sick.  I ate them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  So maybe I might have made myself worse than the average sufferer.  Well, I thought those carbs would give me energy.  I really just want to know if this is normal for someone else too.  I read a lot of recovery times like a year or more.... so more waiting or more Docs again.... ???

Thanks for your response.... :)

redheartstard Newbie

It took me three years to feel normal. I found out that a lot of the reasons I was sick as a child were most likely to have been from gluten. Some people heal faster than others and it just depends on what actually happened to your body. This is a disease that could get worse over time if you aren't careful. So be careful when you eat out and when you go to parties of any kind. I hope you feel better soon

Ramsey Newbie

It took me three years to feel normal. I found out that a lot of the reasons I was sick as a child were most likely to have been from gluten. Some people heal faster than others and it just depends on what actually happened to your body. This is a disease that could get worse over time if you aren't careful. So be careful when you eat out and when you go to parties of any kind. I hope you feel better soon

Ok, great thanks for the response.  Can you give me a timeline on your symptoms.  I currently have a hard time doing any kind of full-time work and would like to get an idea when I can.  Is there any ways that you found to speed up the healing?  I am taking mutli-vitamins, eating healthy (mostly food that I make), and taking pro-biotics.  I find that I have the most problems during hot weather (i.e. the summer in Texas).  Now, my main issues are bloating and fatigue.  Did you have the same issues?  What did you do for three years that you were recovering?  Could you work and maintain a normal lifestyle?  Any ideas on how to manage it? I am getting to the point where I can start to have a normal life.  However, I always have to make sure that I eat enough and have some sugary thing in case I start feeling weak, but I really don't like working full-time yet as it takes so much out of me.  I have hope that it won't be too much longer, as I was very healthy and athletic before all this happened.   That being said I had GI problems on and off my whole life.  The doctors said I had too much stomach acid, which obviously wasn't the problem.  Even though I have always been an athlete, I noticed that I always had less endurance than other people.  Also, I lived in Japan for two years and at that time I don't ever remember being tired.  Over there, I bascially ate no gluten just lots of rice.  Well please let me know any advice you have.  Thanks!

redheartstard Newbie

Ok so I was 15 when I found out and I wasnt really tired I just had a lot 9th pain. I did school full time and did sports after school. I had a very busy schedule and u think that was why I didn't feel tired all the time. Plus I've had insomnia since I was 12. So what I suggest is that you sleep 7-8 hours a day and some time in the evening take like a hour nap. I started working full time when I was 18 and I do have to say for like a month or two it will take a lost out of you even if you don't do it full time. I do a lot of physical activity. Like I walk a lot and I lift heavy stuff and its a lot of stress. But I love it. You need to find something that you love to do. Start that part time then work your way up to full time. There isn't really anything that will heal you faster. Plus I don't know what damage you had that was done and everyone heals different. Like for me I had two ulcers and my intestines were smooth and I had old scar tissue from other ulcers. It took about a year for that to heal.I'm glad that you can take vitamins and all that cause I cant, So that will help. Now I'm exhausted all the time and the bloating has gotten pretty bad. But I found when I am bloated if you massage in downward motions that it helps. I have a lot of GI problems too and I can say that all of that contributes to the issues too.b you just have to take it one step at a time. It's been ten years now and I still have problems from time to time but I have good days and even weeks and some times months. Just hang in there. Stay positive and keep up your diet

Archived