SMRI

What Are Your Go-To Items At Fast Food Places?

Rate this topic

What are your go-to items if you have to eat at a Fast Food place.  I run into trouble when I'm on the road and might have a choice between McDonald's and maybe Arby's.  I would prefer not to eat at Fast Food places but often when I'm in the middle of nowhere, it's my only option.

I would opt out of those places and stop at a gas station to get pre-packaged snacks.  If I am stuck somewhere without nourishment, most gas stations and convenience stores sell chips, string cheese, some kind of fruit, and may have at least one meal bar option that is safe.  How long are you on the road for- a road trip, or just gone for the day?  Pre-planning and taking your own edibles can be a real lifesaver, especially for those who are newly diagnosed and need to avoid cross contamination if at all possible.

I agree  with Laura... but  there are times  when  crap happens  & no time to grab  anything... I then opt  for  a  chick-fi-la, Wendy's , chipotle,mighty taco ( has a gluten-free  menu)..... I  always  haave  a  go bag  in  my  car with  jerky, crackers  or  ships....  Go Picnic has  many gluten-free  boxes.... not  crazy  about  them  but  good  in a  pinch...Pocketfuel  is  also  a  good small  carry  food..  protein bars too...

You might be able to find grocery stores, too. Get some nuts, yogurt, fruit, cheese slices, cold cuts, gluten-free crackers, etc.

But the key to traveling with celiac, is planning. That may mean finding places to stop ahead of time. That may mean bringing enough filling snacks like a protein bar and dried fruit if you can't find anything safe.

What has you out on the road, are you a professional driver?  Some of the people on here gush over their Coolatron brand coolers, I am waiting for an excuse to get me one.  They can hook up to your cars charger spot and keep food cold/hot, some models have a regular plug in option as well.  Get some gluten-free bread, or if you are not in a place to toast things, some corn tortillas, throw on some lunch meat and cheese, and voila!  I assume you are wanting to get to where you need to be and don't want to be stuck in some gross gas station bathroom when least expected so avoiding CC can pay off that way big time.  Bringing your own stuff if you can is also a bit easier on the wallet, it would probably pay for a nice cooler and supplies after a long trip.  They also make little personal ovens and crock pot type things that plug into your cigarette lighter spot, too.  Check out some of those big truck stops or look online for those.

Also, if you go by the same places over and over again, if you are going to take the risk of ordering a salad or something from an iffy place, getting to know the staff really pays off.  A traditional restaurant kind of place, you can get them to cook up some meat and veggies in a clean skillet, etc.  But that heavily depends on how accommodating the staff is.

Oh Laura, Laura.  I was on a mission to find the name of the cooler I had just bought but I had to search through my other threads and got sidetracked again telling Across thank you for the tip off about the Koolatron. and then trying to muddle through my answer on another thread that you also answered to.  I think you are following me only you get there first.

SMRI, I just got a Koolatron from Home Depot.  I haven't used it yet but Irish is a good one to ask.  She is sleeping right now and on vacation but if you have powers like Kareng does you just have to yell her name and she answers.  Good luck!

I just bought one of the Koolatron coolers too :D.  I am not a professional driver but I travel for work, a LOT.  Trust me when I say, I'm in the middle of NO WHERE at times and the gas stations are not the nice convenience store ones :D.  Often they are just unmanned gas pumps with no food or restrooms :D.