beth01

Gluten Free Care Packages For Newly Diagnosed Celiacs

Rate this topic

I just saw this on the University of Chicago Celiac Care Center website that they send out care packages to newly diagnosed celiacs ( within the last year).  You have to have had antibody levels drawn and an endoscopy.  They ask you for your information and doctors name and numbers to verify information.  I thought this was neat.  Parents can sign up for their children.

I got one of those when I was diagnosed and it was so awesome and helpful!  Lots of good literature along with some samples.  You have to give them your doctors info and permission to verify your Celiac diagnosis before receiving it.   I assume that is to stop the freebie hoarders.  Here is the link:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/living-with-celiac/care-packages

I got one of those when I was diagnosed and it was so awesome and helpful!  Lots of good literature along with some samples.  You have to give them your doctors info and permission to verify your Celiac diagnosis before receiving it.   I assume that is to stop the freebie hoarders.  Here is the link:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/living-with-celiac/care-packages

Actually, I heard Dr G say that a lot of people seem to think they have Celiac ( been told by doctors) but when they submit the copy of the lab or the path reports, they don't have Celiac or the wrong tests were done. Not sure if they are still asking for copies now, but they used to. He seemed to feel that it was a way to check and make sure people were getting the proper care.

As said above, University of Chicago Celiac Disease Research Center is one of the leading research centers in America, you can read more about them on their website, we link to their information a lot here.  http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/

I got my gift basket. It's really nice.  I got some gluten-free "granola" bars, gluten-free pie crust mix, a couple sample sizes of gluten-free pasta, 3 different kinds of gluten-free cookies, 3 different magazines about living gluten-free, a handy pocket guide for what to watch for when eating out.  It lists common menu items and possible ways they could be cross contaminated and questions to ask to make sure it is not.  Very nice!!

Mine had three little oatmeal packets, a small bag of cookies, one magazine and two boxes with the same information in them, no coupons.  I didn't really think anything of it until a friend received hers and it was packed.  I was a little disappointed then.  I had ordered one that I am also sharing with my daughter since she didn't get diagnosed with a biopsy so she doesn't qualify for one.  I emailed them and they reassured me that they don't normally send them out when they are so sparse and she apologized.  She said they were having some delays from their suppliers and when they received their new stock she would send out a new one.  I will be sending them a donation, I thought that was very kind.  Now I am excited for the next one.