Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am at a loss. I have tired a number of gluten-free tortillas but they all fall short. They either dry up and are brittle when warmed or they are very chewy.

I DO love corn tortillas and will eat those as well but sometimes, well, a good "flour" tortilla is the best fit for a dish. 

Suggestions? Oh, and I am in Canada so we don't have some products that they have in the states.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

I am on the same quest. While in England, we at the best wraps at Costa's, a coffee shop comparable to Starbucks. We ate those gluten-free chicken wraps several times and they were soft and delicious.

I'm not the first person here to start making these, but since there is no such thing (imo) as a decent store bought flour tortilla it falls to us to make them. This recipe is so simple a kid could make them and really is flexible and even a little stretchy. My husband picked up the first one I made, grabbed two sides and started pulling. I freaked out, thinking he would just tear it in half and instead it had a little stretch to it. And they're delicious. ^_^http://glutenfreerecipebox.com/thin-soft-gluten-free-wraps/

I used rice because I don't like the flavor of bean flours so I don't have any in the house and don't intend to buy any. I would have used sorghum but it was in the freezer and I was just plain old too lazy to get it out, which is an epic amount of laziness. :ph34r:

I do want to add that the way you heat up your tortillas can make a difference.  Although it is tedious, heating them one by one on a hot skillet on the stove will give you much better texture than in the microwave.  With gluten-free tortillas having oddly behaving texture issues, if one method doesn't yield good results, try the other way before writing off a product.

If you heat the tortillas in the microwave, put a glass with some water in there--not sure if it works with gluten-free ones but it helps them from getting soggy/rubbery.  I usually put them in the oven in foil to warm though.

I don't know if anything else would work or not. I've had mixed success with trying AP flours in place of specific flours called for in recipes. Worst case it is a two egg recipe so easy to half and not much waste if it turns out poorly.

I'm not the first person here to start making these, but since there is no such thing (imo) as a decent store bought flour tortilla it falls to us to make them. This recipe is so simple a kid could make them and really is flexible and even a little stretchy. My husband picked up the first one I made, grabbed two sides and started pulling. I freaked out, thinking he would just tear it in half and instead it had a little stretch to it. And they're delicious. ^_^http://glutenfreerecipebox.com/thin-soft-gluten-free-wraps/

THANK YOU!!!!!!  The picture of them makes them look very pliable and soft! I am definitely going to have to try making these. In my "before" days I used to always make homemade flour tortillas (never bought them!) but now I find they just fall apart and never stay together long enough in the skillet etc.

Thanks so much!

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Forum Discussions

Dear god yes lol, I have a corn allergy and the starch is hit miss if it triggers a reaction, but they could also be from rice, or tapioca....seriously they need to go the route of many shampoos/body washes that list the chemical/ingredient...
    since they just say "food starch" they could have made it from a cows arse for all i know. they need to just say what it comes from every time lol
    Here is the interpretation chart he sent me and yes I have 2 kids in which their pediatrician said they didn’t need to be tested unless they show symptoms which goes against everything I have read about symptoms being silent etc.... Is i...