This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bob's Red Mill gluten-free "oatmeal"

SMRI

SMRI Collaborator

Giving this two thumbs up!!  I like this!  It's very smooth and creamy.  In the past I've used Quaker Quick Oats and traditional oats, usually make it with milk and add in some craisins.  I like Bob's much better!!!  I made it with 1/2 water, 1/2 milk today just to see how it worked out.  The hardest meal for me is going to be breakfast because I typically have either cereal with fruit or oatmeal and with the limited gluten-free cereal choices the lack of variety is going to be an issue.  I'm not an egg fan.  I did get some gluten-free waffles but I haven't tried them yet because syrup has too many calories for my temporary diet.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

user001 Contributor

I love oatmeal but it's just too much for my body to deal with. I tried it a few weeks ago and It made me very tired and made me stumble all over like I had been glutened.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

SMRI, waffles are really good with other toppings other than syrup. I make whole grain gluten free waffles on a regular basis and serve them with unsweetened applesauce, peanut butter, fruit juice sweetened jam, butter, and fresh berries. (like raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, etc.)

SMRI Collaborator

SMRI, waffles are really good with other toppings other than syrup. I make whole grain gluten free waffles on a regular basis and serve them with unsweetened applesauce, peanut butter, fruit juice sweetened jam, butter, and fresh berries. (like raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, etc.)

True..but I like them with syrup. :D  I could heat up some jam and use that though too.

LauraTX Rising Star

I love oatmeal but it's just too much for my body to deal with. I tried it a few weeks ago and It made me very tired and made me stumble all over like I had been glutened.

:(  There are some people who can never handle oats, but many are able to add them back in after a period of good healing.  I would wait about 6 months and try again, with caution.

user001 Contributor

:(  There are some people who can never handle oats, but many are able to add them back in after a period of good healing.  I would wait about 6 months and try again, with caution.

It's so funny to me, looking back I could eat hot peppers all the time with no problem, but every time I ate oatmeal (pre celiac dx) it would give me heartburn without fail!

kareng Grand Master

True..but I like them with syrup. :D  I could heat up some jam and use that though too.

The kids across the street put flavored yogurts on their waffles. Some people make sandwiches with them - like ham and cheese or ice cream. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LauraTX Rising Star

It's so funny to me, looking back I could eat hot peppers all the time with no problem, but every time I ate oatmeal (pre celiac dx) it would give me heartburn without fail!

Well, that may be a warning sign for the future!  LOL!  Hot foods don't give me a problem unless I eat them with a lot of fat or acidic foods, which is how a lot of things come, doh!  

The kids across the street put flavored yogurts on their waffles. Some people make sandwiches with them - like ham and cheese or ice cream. :)

Yes please!

Oh, I thought you were offering me waffle sandwiches.  BRB, gonna go rummage in the kitchen now!

Serielda Enthusiast

Blessed,

Those waffles sound amazing. I am so going to try those tomorrow, as I have a recipe for  a gluten-free waffles. I am thinking applesauce on them would be  sweet, never thought of that one before. 

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I make mine with certified gluten free oats and whatever other configuration of ingredients I have on hand. Sometimes I put garbanzo beans in them, sometimes eggs, sometimes cashews. Often flax seed, for the extra omega 3. 

Just a general reminder for any newbies reading this thread, be sure to buy a new waffle iron after DX. Waffle irons are very, very difficult to clean thoroughly if they've been used on gluten waffles.

user001 Contributor

I have recently gotten into millet for breakfast. It is easier to cook overnight in a crock pot. Loaded with protein, fiber and low fat. I feel like its pretty cheap too because 1/4 cup is a serving which cooks up into 1 cup. I treated it like oatmeal and added some sugar and cinnamon, it satisfied my want for oatmeal in the morning but didn't give me heartburn, fatigue and ataxia *thumbs up* Really filled me up and kept me full.

My family and friends are starting to label me as the weird eater, then they try my food and are deliciously surprised.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Yes, millet is very cost effective!

My bulk supplier can get me 25 pounds of organic certified gluten free millet for around $37. Compared to the price of gluten-free oatmeal and other grains, that's pretty cheap!

user001 Contributor

Gluten free oatmeal is quite expensive! I enjoy quinoa, and so does my tummy but it is quite expensive. Im hooked on millet!

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Yeah, I buy my quinoa at Sam's Club or Costco to keep the price down, but it's not exactly perfectly cheap there either. The price at Costco used to be $2.50 a pound awhile back. I wish now that I had bought up a bunch when it was that price!

Archived