Rate this topic

Milk doesn't contain gluten, but some people have difficulty with casein in the same way they have difficulty with gluten.  As I understand it, casein is (as a protein) similar enough to gluten that if your body decides it doesn't like gluten it can also get confused and decide it hates casein as well. 

Inflammation in the gut can also create a sort of temporary lactose intolerance, so if you suffer from gastrointestinal distress as a result of dairy products, that can also be the case. 

Milk doesn't contain gluten, but some people have difficulty with casein in the same way they have difficulty with gluten.  As I understand it, casein is (as a protein) similar enough to gluten that if your body decides it doesn't like gluten it can also get confused and decide it hates casein as well. 

Inflammation in the gut can also create a sort of temporary lactose intolerance, so if you suffer from gastrointestinal distress as a result of dairy products, that can also be the case.

I don't want to turn this away from the original question but there is currently no scientific evidence that milk causes celiac antibodies. I am hoping Wullie comes back and clarifies exactly what he or she is asking. They may just be wondering about protein powders you add to smoothies.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/whats-with-all-the-talk-about-certain-types-of-food-causing-cross-reactivity

"is not yet reliable data about cross-reactivity. As for the alleged possibility that many gluten-free foods or drinks (such as coffee, milk, orange juice, etc.) would trigger symptoms in celiac individuals due to hidden antigens mimicking gluten"

I don't want to turn this away from the original question but there is currently no scientific evidence that milk causes celiac antibodies. I am hoping Wullie comes back and clarifies exactly what he or she is asking. They may just be wondering about protein powders you add to smoothies.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/whats-with-all-the-talk-about-certain-types-of-food-causing-cross-reactivity

"is not yet reliable data about cross-reactivity. As for the alleged possibility that many gluten-free foods or drinks (such as coffee, milk, orange juice, etc.) would trigger symptoms in celiac individuals due to hidden antigens mimicking gluten"

Hi,

I am thinking of getting myself tested for gluten intolerance as the symptoms i have read up on I have... including being rather gassy....

I am looking at ingredients on the back of savory rice and the allergy advice says Milk Protien and barley...

Hi,

I am thinking of getting myself tested for gluten intolerance as the symptoms i have read up on I have... including being rather gassy....

I am looking at ingredients on the back of savory rice and the allergy advice says Milk Protien and barley...

Milk is not gluten - so that part is fine. but barley contains gluten.