BlessedMommy

Do I Have To Reseason My Cast Iron Skillet Again?

Rate this topic

My 7 year old daughter wanted to make breakfast for me as a surprise--so she ran out to the kitchen, got a little confused, and ended up grabbing a spatula that had been previously used for gluten food and not washed yet and made potatoes with it in my dedicated gluten free cast iron pan. (I ended up giving the potatoes to everybody else and eating the other stuff)

Do I have to reseason the pan again or is washing sufficient, since there wouldn't have been much gluten on the spatula?

I don't know the answer to this but I am curious about it.  My grandmother has some cast iron and she is moving and I didn't want to take them not knowing if they were safe.  It was just one of the items I put on my kitchen wish list!

What they tell you to do post DX is to put your cast iron pans in the oven on the self cleaning cycle. The self clean cycle will get up to 900 degrees and will burn off all the gluten on your pan. Then you reseason it and it's safe for use. 

I'm wondering if since only a contaminated spatula was used on my cast iron pan (instead of actually cooking something gluteny in it), washing is sufficient, instead of starting all over with the self clean cycle of the oven. 

I know that it's sufficient wash them in the dishwasher.

Any way, when I had got the same problem, I used only water and soap with my strong hands  ^_^ and it was ok for me (but only because I haven't got a dishwasher  :( ).