BarryC

Gluten Sensitivity To Different Gluten Containing Foods?

Rate this topic

Part of the reason why it took me so long to realise I am gluten sensitive is that some gluten containing foods have little to no adverse effect on me. Unlike full blown celiacs, I seem to be able to cope with a lot of stuff that does contain gluten, in small quantities anyway. Obvious stuff like bread, baked goods, etc, have the most effects. Fried chicken and deep fried stuff not so bad. Is it possible the gluten in bread and baked goods is stronger or more pure, while the gluten has been altered by the cooking process  in deep fried stuff to make it less potent?

I would think it may be the gluten content. If you take a piece of bread, it's gonna have a lot more gluten ppm than some fried chicken. With the bread, it's mostly your gluten containing grain, where fried chicken is mostly chicken with a bit of gluten containing grain on the outside. It's kinda like if you weight yourself, only a small percentage of your weight is your clothes. But if you just weigh your clothes, then that's all the weight the scale is showing.

Different foods, and different times of the day for meals, affected my gluten reactions too. Morning pancakes would cause some pain for 15 to 30 minutes but by dinner I was hugely bloated with a migraine. Noodles for dinner affected me some but did not cause pain. Beer made me swell like a balloon.

And then there were weeks or months when symptoms were not bad at all. Symptoms in celiacs and those with NCGS can vary wildly... It really does make it hard to figure out.

The reaction is expected to be dose dependent.

Not always.  It's sort of like how the intestinal damage does not always correlate to the autoantibody levels.  There is still the body's.... interpretation of how to react that day.

My reaction sometimes correlated to the dose, but not always.

And....Barry is certain he doesn't have Celiac.  But not really sure what he does have - as NCGI isn't really 1 specific thing.  They are still studying it and finding different reasons for the apparent reactions to gluten or if it even is a gluten reaction.  

So - will eating gluten cause him damage?  Probably not but hard to know at this point. 

- why are some foods less reactive for him than others?  who knows.  Probably depends on whether he is actually reacting to gluten or something else (like FODMAPS which are probably less in fried chicken and more in a slice of white bread).  Or is he reacting to another part of the wheat?  

Sorry Barry.  At this point, its probably best to just go with what makes you feel better.  If fried chicken doesn't bother you - that's great.  If a big gluten hit like bread bothers you, take the burger off the bun and enjoy.  I wish I, a Celiac, could live that way.  Would make my life easier.   :D