This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Our First Gf Thanksgiving

Kailynsmom

Kailynsmom Apprentice

With our first gluten-free thanksgiving coming up, I wondered who out there has great recipes or spins on favorites to make them gluten-free?

My in-laws always made this gluten-free rice, broccoli and cheese casserole that was amazing. I'll get recipe for ya'll if anybody wants it.

So come on, who's got something yummy??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

That sounds great to me...please post!

swittenauer Enthusiast

I'd love to see that also. We are having our 1st gluten-free thanksgiving also.

Kailynsmom Apprentice

Ok, bear with me here, in laws won't divulge exact recipe, but basically goes like this

1 bunch of chopped and steamed broccoli,

4 cups of cooked Rice (brown rice is really good in this dish)

6-8 oz of Velveeta cheese, melted (I usually use 1/2 velveeta, and 1/2 colby/ jack)

1 tbsp butter

2 tbsp of milk

cornstarch (not sure how much I used before, probably less than 2 tsps.

salt and pepper to taste

Combine cheese, butter and milk in sauce pan and melt, add cornstarch, then rice and broccoli. Add to baking dish and bake about 350 till heated through and cheese starts to bubble around edges.

***I love to spice this up. Last time I added canned artichoke hearts, chopped up, and nobody even noticed. Very subtle nutty flavor. YOu could also add chicken or tofu.

bex Newbie

Traditional (but gluten-free!) Sage Stuffing

1 loaf of Kinnickinnick gluten-free White sandwich bread, dried and broken into 1/2 inch pieces

1 cup chopped carrots

3/4 cup chopped celery

1 medium onion, chopped

1 egg, beaten

2 cloves garlic, chopped

3 tbsp ground sage

3-4 cups turkey broth (you can either slow-boil turkey bones or giblets with some onions, carrots, and celery to make your own broth, or just use store-bought gluten-free chicken stock or buillion)

Boil the veggies in the turkey broth until they are soft, about 10 minutes. Take out the veggies with a strainer or slotted spoon, and add to a large bowl with the broken-up bread, and mix lightly with the sage and garlic. Add hot turkey broth one cup at a time until the stuffing has the consistency of pudding. You may not use all the broth, or you may need a bit more, but add it slowly so you get the right consistency. Add egg and mix in well. At this point, you can add any other ingredients you like, such as chestnuts, oysters (never understood this, but some of my relatives LOVE it), chopped bits of turkey, or corn. You can also add salt, pepper, basil, oregano, or any other spices you think would be good. Mix well, and spoon into a greased casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes, until top is crusty and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. I think it tastes better if you let it sit covered in the refrigerator overnight before baking, but if you don't have time for that, this works fine too. You can also stuff the turkey with this stuffing. I've tried this recipe with several different kinds of gluten-free bread, and I think the Kinnickinnick makes the best texture. Drying the bread takes longer than with regular bread. You'll need to leave it out for about 48 hours, or you can microwave the spread-out slices on high for about 3 minutes, 3 times (letting the slices sit for about 10 minutes between each turn in the microwave).

By the way, you can modify this recipe to make bread pudding. Instead of carrots, celery and onions, add uncooked raisins, currants, chocolate chips, ripe bananas, or nuts to the chopped up bread, and substitute any mixture of milk, gluten-free liquor like brandy, honey or maple syrup, or apple juice for the broth (you can experiment, but I like to use about 2 cups milk, 1/4 c. brandy, and 1 cup apple juice or cider). Use cinnamon and a little nutmeg or allspice in place of the sage (and nix the garlic, of course). When it's done baking, sprinkle with powdered sugar.

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

This newbie would love some recipes too! These will be our first gluten free holidays. Since my daughter is still healing, I am so nervous about her getting glutened.......so, crazy me volunteered to do t-day and Christmas at our house. What was I thinking? My family isn't too difficult, since my mom and brother have recently gone gluten free. But dh's family is another story. Maybe I'll put up a big sign that says "no gluten allowed". Think that'd be over the top??? Lol. Ugh, I'm dreading it already. I can see a big bottle of wine in my future.

Anyway, keep the delish holiday recipes comin'!

Kailynsmom Apprentice

is wine gluten-free??? Oh, there is a God!!!

haha

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Wine -- made from grapes

Rum -- made from sugarcane

Tequila -- made from agave

Potato vodkas -- chopin - made from potatos

-- also, as long as liquor is distilled it is gluten-free -- the problem arises with sensitvity -- some people can't drink distilled grain related alcohols -- I can (but I never used to be able to )...

Drink and be merry!!!!

Also, when making mashed potatoes, consider adding Philly Cream Cheese with milk/cream -- they make a better and creamier potato -- After the sucker is whipped to perfection, I add grated smoked gouda cheese and mix a few more times -- always a big hit with my folks!!!

Kailynsmom Apprentice

I saw that Everyday Italian show on Food network yesterday and the lady, Giada, made these mashed potatoes that looked amazing and would be gluten-free!

Peel, chop and Boil russet mashed potatoes

Melt 1 stick butter with 1/2 cup of milk till very warm.

Drain potatoes and smuch with a fork, add butter/milk mixture. Then add 3/4 cup grated mozzerella cheese and 1/4 parmesan-regiannno (spelling??)

Put into baking dish and top with a little more mozzerella and bread crumbs (use your favorite gluten-free bread or skip it!)

Bake till warm and the cheese barely browns.

SillyYakMom Rookie

My Dh, who is not a celiac LOVES this stuffing recipe. It is made with short brown rice and he thinks it tastes better than bread stuffing. It also stays moist so much better because the rice soakes it all up.

Rice Stuffing

3/4 Cup finely chopped onion

1 1/2 Cup chopped celery with chopped leaves

1 Cup butter

2 Cups short brown rice

2 tsp salt

1 1/2 tsp sage

1 tsp thyme

1/2 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp poultry seasoning

1 can mushrooms

Saute' onions and butter until clear. Stir in rice. Mix in bowl with other ingredients. Stuff turkey. Rub any left over stuffing over bird to make it nice and buttery.

Now for dessert!

Pumpkin Custard Pie

Filling:

1-1/2 Cups milk or soymilk

4 TBS cornstarch

1 1/2 Cup pumpkin puree

1/2 Cup sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp ginger

1/8 cloves

Crust: (Gluten-free Nutty Rice, tastes just like grape nuts)

1 Cup Nutty Rice

1/4 Cup apple juice concentrate

Whisk milk or soymilk and cornstarch. Blend in ingredients. Pour into pie shell bake 375 for 45 min

Crust: Mix Nutty Rice and juice. Bake 10 min. Cool before filling

armoorefam Newbie

I have just added a category to my blog for celiac. Since I just typed in a few recipees, including an awesome pumpkin cake recipe, a few minutes ago. I am just going to post a link to it instead of typing all those in all over again:

Open Original Shared Link

Should you come and visit my blog long after I posted this, the recipes might get buried, but you can access all my celiac specific blog entries by adding a /celiac at the end of the address and the blog will sort entries that are labeled as celiac for you.

Tammy Moore

bluelotus Contributor

Any thanksgiving recipes for those that can't tolerate other things - like dairy, eggs, or corn?

Kim Explorer

Pumpkin Pan Bars (with cream cheese frosting optional)

Gingerbread Pancakes

Pumpkin Pancakes

Dinner Rolls (including an egg-free, dairy free version)

and others are available on our website:

www.123glutenfree.com

We will be posting even more recipes soon.

Enjoy!

Kim.

Kailynsmom Apprentice

What about that salad with:

pistacio pudding mix

marshmellows

canned pinapple

chopped pecans,

cool whip

My mom calls it Waldorf salad

elonwy Enthusiast

I need a gluten-free gravy recipe. My bf's mom is being really cool, cause thats where we go for thanksgiving, she is cooking the turkey totally seperate, the mashed potatoe seperate, etc.

I am bringing my own pumkin pie, making the crust with pamelas shortbread cookie crumbs, and I am making the polenta and sausage stuffing from the Gourmet Magazine issue that had the gluten-free recipes. It wasn't in that section, but it naturally gluten-free. i'll post the recipe when I get home and find the magazine.

THe only thing else I need to make is gravy and I can't find one gluten-free or a mix that's gluten-free.

Anybody got a lead?

Thanks

Elonwy

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Gravy can easily be made with corn starch or rice flour instead of wheat flour. Just be sure to stir stir stir!! and use a higher heat with the rice flour. I find that it takes a higher heat for it to thicken.

-Jessica

I need a gluten-free gravy recipe. My bf's mom is being really cool, cause thats where we go for thanksgiving, she is cooking the turkey totally seperate, the mashed potatoe seperate, etc.

I am bringing my own pumkin pie, making the crust with pamelas shortbread cookie crumbs, and I am making the polenta and sausage stuffing from the Gourmet Magazine issue that had the gluten-free recipes. It wasn't in that section, but it naturally gluten-free. i'll post the recipe when I get home and find the magazine.

THe only thing else I need to make is gravy and I can't find one gluten-free or a mix that's gluten-free.

Anybody got a lead?

Thanks

Elonwy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

jerseyangel Proficient

I use potato starch for gravy.

skoki-mom Explorer

Anybody got a lead?

Thanks

Elonwy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gravy is a cinch to make from scratch. While your turkey cooks, combine 4 cups of water, about a tsp of salt, 4 whole cloves, 2 stalks of celery coarsley chopped, 1 onion coarsley chopped, and toss in the turkey giblets except for the liver. Bring it to a boil and let it boil gently for 40 min. Toss in the liver and boil for another 20 min. Then strain all the stuff out of it so you are only left with the broth/stock. When your turkey comes out of the oven, drain off the fat from the pan so you are only left with the brown drippings. I use the Bette Hagman gluten-free flour mix from the gluten-free Gourmet series. Add enough flour to soak up the drippings and cook on low heat, forming a roux, for 3-4 min, until flour is cooked. Then gradually add your stock, stirring regularily. If it's too thick, you can add the water you drain off your potatoes, potato water is full of potato starch and is very yummy and flavourful! Add salt to taste. This is how we have always made our gravy, and the only difference now being gluten-free is the flour mix. It tastes exactly the same as our old traditional gravy, my whole family eats it and can't tell the difference. Don't let the giblets gross you out, they just add flavour to the broth :) Good luck.

teacher1578 Apprentice

My first gluten-free Thanksgiving? What can I eat at the table, without making something specifically gluten-free? Anything? Much appreciated....

tarnalberry Community Regular
My first gluten-free Thanksgiving? What can I eat at the table, without making something specifically gluten-free? Anything? Much appreciated....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, you ALWAYS have to check the ingredients if you didn't cook using gluten-free ingredients. But it's *trivial* to make a gluten-free turkey (don't stuff it, don't use the sauce packets that come with some of them, verify your spices are gluten-free), gluten-free make mashed potatoes (don't use broth unless it's gluten-free), gluten-free vegetables (like green beans, spinach, etc... - don't top them with fried stuff, don't add gluten-free ingredients), a gluten-free salad (no croutons on the shared bowl, gluten-free dressing, etc.).

ALWAYS know your ingredients!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Here is a good stuffing recipe:

Stuffing

* 4 shallots, minced

* 2 onions, diced

* 5 celery ribs, diced

* 5 carrots, diced

* 2-3 TB butter (I use soybean butter)

* 2 tbl dry sage

* 2 tbl dry thyme

* 2 tbl dry summer savory

* dash of pepper

* 1 cup white wine

* 1 loaf gluten-free bread, cubed (I use Kinnikinnick Italian white tapioca, thawed)

* 1 cup gluten-free chicken stock (I use 1 cup of Imagine chicken broth, or 2 cubes of McCormick chicken bouillon and 1 cup of water).

Sauté the vegetables in the butter until they are soft, and the onions begin to carmelize. Add the seasonings and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the white wine, and continue cooking over medium heat until the liquid is reduced by half. In a large bowl, mix the sautéed vegetables with the bread cubes, chicken stock, and parsley. Transfer to a baking dish and bake for 20 minutes at 325̊ F.

Variations:

Add finely diced sausage or bacon bits to the sauté, or toss in diced chestnuts, apples, or raisins. For cornbread stuffing, try adding dried cranberries or toasted pecans.

Open Original Shared Link

Kailynsmom Apprentice

My whole in-laws side of the family if gluten-free and they use the turkey drippings, and cornstarch, and whatever else you like.

SImple, but good

Guest CD_Surviver
My whole in-laws side of the family if gluten-free and they use the turkey drippings, and cornstarch, and whatever else you like.

SImple, but good

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

my dad is allergic to corn but not gluten and so when we make things he is going to eat we use xanthum gum instead of corn starch and it works really well as a thickener but you only use a tsp or so. you dont need much to thicken anything with xanthum gum.

Kailynsmom Apprentice

found this idea for gravy on a google search.

Drippings from cooked turkey

Reserved cooked giblets - optional

2 cups giblet stock (see below)

Salt and pepper to taste

2 – 4 Tablespoon white rice flour

Directions

When the turkey is done, pour the drippings from the roasting pan into a gravy separator or de-fatting cup. This will separate the fat from the drippings. Pour drippings back into the roasting pan. Add giblet stock to drippings in pan. Cook over low heat, scraping up brown bits from the bottom of the roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Mix rice flour with 1/3 to 1/2 cup water to make a slightly runny paste. Whisk the flour and water mixture into the pan. Keep stirring until thickened. Add the chopped giblets if desired. Simmer 5 minutes. Check seasoning. Serve.

My inlaws side of the family are all gluten-free and they swear by just turkey drippings, salt and pepper and corn starch, maybe some gluten-free veggie stock if you need more liquid. It's delish!

tarnalberry Community Regular
my dad is allergic to corn but not gluten and so when we make things he is going to eat we use xanthum gum instead of corn starch and it works really well as a thickener but you only use a tsp or so. you dont need much to thicken anything with xanthum gum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You might also try giving sweet rice flour a try, for something more closely approximating the flour or cornstarch method.

Archived