This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

That Aha! Moment- Egg Intolerance

user001

user001 Contributor

That aha! moment when you finally figure out why you have been in excruciating pain (just pain, no D or C associated) for nearly 8 months. I have been experimenting for months with my foods to figure out why I was having pain under my rib cage, off to the left a bit. I discovered a couple months ago that it was coffee, but even though the pain was less severe, it was still there.  I had thought my organs were crapping out, especially because celiacs are known for having gallbladder problems, or what is often diagnosed as gallbladder problems. I spent probably $70 last month on digestive enzymes.  I finally was starting to think, its gotta be my gallbladder. So I was going to stop cooking my eggs with a spoon of butter because eggs aren't that fatty but the butter is. So I cooked them with olive oil one day, then without any fat added the next day and still had pain within 2 hours after eating. So apparently It is eggs. I haven't had any (eggs) in a week and a half and I haven't had any pain either. I was really hoping that it wasn't eggs but I sadly have to admit that it was. I have heard from friends and family that they had a similar problem with eggs. One said they switched to farm fresh eggs and those seem to be ok. The other says she switched to the farm eggs for a while and the problem resolved and she now eats regular factory eggs with no problem.  So my brother gave me a dozen of his chickens eggs and im afraid to try. Someone also mentioned trying the yolks and whites separate because It might be a problem with one and not the other. Afraid to try that for now.

Has anyone had a similar problem with eggs specifically? Does this mean I will develop an allergy to chicken? I did used to eat them and coffee daily and suddenly after years of no problems, I suddenly developed a problem with both. It is so strange. I did used to have fresh farm eggs regularly, and alternated with factory eggs. For a year I have been eating only the factory eggs, 8 months ago I seem to have developed this problem. I also noticed I have a post nasal drip that happens also. I am pretty sure that it is unrelated but This was the first year that I got a flu shot (about the same time as the problems started) and I seemed to have a cruddy reaction to it. I just felt like I was uncomfortable in my own skin for 2 days after and I got a bruise that lasted nearly a month.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I can eat eggs, but not chicken, so I don't think the two have to run together.  If I had trouble with chicken eggs I would most certainly try quale, duck, or goose eggs to substitute.  Surprisingly chicken eggs is one of my very best foods that I ate when I was sick and still tolerate.  We raise our own chickens, feed them organic and free range them.  However, as I said, I don't tolerate the chicken meat even though we raise them ourselves and they eat the same food as the layers.  Certainly if you realized store bought eggs didn't work, it may be that you will tolerate the other eggs.  I know how hard it is to rock the boat when you are feeling good, though.

Dee

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Yes, duck eggs might be worth trying. 

user001 Contributor

I was reading that if you have symptoms from chicken eggs, you will likely have the same problem with all eggs. So sad.  I will try my brothers eggs soon, like you said though I dont want to rock the boat since ive been feeling well. Same goes for experimenting with whites and yolks. I hope I don't develop a problem with chicken meat, I dont eat beef or pork and fish is so expensive in comparison.

Its amazing how different we can all be. I had leftover chicken fajitas for breakfast but god forbid I eat an egg!

icelandgirl Proficient

I am so happy for you that you figured this out! I'm desperately searching for that aha moment. 2 weeks without dairy and soy didn't do it. Bummed.

user001 Contributor

It is the strangest thing. I have nearly the same exact problem with coffee, less nasal drip. I have experimented very thoroughly.

Renaye Contributor

I got tested and discovered that I am intolerant to eggs. You might want to experiment with eating just either the yolk or the white part as you may not react to both. You may also be able to eat them in baked goods but not just eat plain eggs. Losing eggs has been very sad for me because many gluten-free bread, crackers and bought desserts have eggs in them. There are a lot of substitutes such as using applesauce, flax meal or bananas in recipes. When you want a plain egg though, there is no substitution.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StephanieL Enthusiast

There is no 100% way to separate the yolk from the white.  Also there is not true way besides removing something from ones diet to figure out an intolerance.

It's true that the protein in all bird like eggs is similar enough that they usually all cause an issue (just like with milk- if you have a dairy allergy you most likely can not tolerate any other mammal milk-goat, sheep and so on).  

user001 Contributor

I heard and read that some people have similar issues with factory eggs but organic eggs don't bother them. The other day I had a cooked egg from my brothers chickens. All organic food for these ladies and same problem. I haven't experimented with the yolk and white because I also did read that you cant really separate them, even if you think you can. I try to avoid anything with egg ingredients but if i eat a tiny bit, it seems to be ok. But if i have some bread with egg and some other snack with a little egg in it, then i can feel the pain. I actually found that using applesauce or banana in my gluten free pancake mix with coconut almond milk, is really delightful!

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I seem to be intolerant to coffee, but not when I buy whole bean coffee.  I seem to be intolerant to factory eggs but not to eggs from pasture raised hens who get little or no supplemental feed.  I hope you feel better soon.

user001 Contributor

I seem to be intolerant to coffee, but not when I buy whole bean coffee.  I seem to be intolerant to factory eggs but not to eggs from pasture raised hens who get little or no supplemental feed.  I hope you feel better soon.

That is interesting.. do you grind it at home? I would love to be able to have coffee again! My brother gave us a dozen eggs from his chickens who eat better than anyone i know! But no luck with that. Just avoiding eggs now and Ive been doing well. I had a few cruddy days from something, but im feeling better now.

Yes, I got a coffee grinder.

user001 Contributor

Any idea why whole is ok but ground is not? I get an intolerance type reaction from it, not a gluten reaction.

Is it possible that it is a low level gluten reaction?  If not, then my experience probably does not apply to you.  My ideas of why it is a problem for me come from sources like this one: Open Original Shared Link

Archived