user001

Terrible Week- Stayed With Family, Didn't Get Contaminated.

Rate this topic

We had a death in the family and I had to go up and stay for a night (2 full days) I managed to be able to cook some things the night before to bring. I tried to make sure the items had a few common ingredients like onion, garlic, carrot and corn. That made prep a bit easier. I made

Corn Chowder (potato and chicken stock base with onion, garlic, carrot and corn)

Chicken and vegetable "fried" rice

I also brought a few packaged gluten free snacks like the enjoy life soft baked bars and some cookies. I didn't eat much of them though.

I have a really small pan and spoons that I brought to cook my breakfast millet.

I was able to fit everything into one of those reusable grocery bags and I put a gigantic icepack under the food.

I was so nervous that I would accidentally contaminate myself while I was there, but I am glad to say that I am ok! I even helped my cousin bake, which was pushing it but that is something we always do together :(  I expected this though, so I trimmed my nails really short before I left. I also made sure I washed my dish before using with a wad of paper towels, not the dish cloth. It was a really hard time but I am really feeling good that I was able to prepare and keep myself safe while I was spending time with my family. Food was delicious too, my cousin keeps yelling at me for a chowder recipe, but I make up recipes as I go.

I thought Millet was not gluten-free or do you just call it that?...or am I thinking of something else?

Millet can be gluten free. Some batches test a bit over the limit if they're not certified gluten-free, kind of like oats but not as bad.

Congratulations user001 on getting through the days with the family. Condolences on your loss :(

Sorry you had to pick up and go, it is really hard when you don't have time to plan.  But you seemed to handle it well!  I will help family bake and cook at their house, but usually it isn't anything crazy poofy.  If you are worried about poofy flour you can wear a face mask to keep it from being ingested after it is inhaled.  But I am glad to see you finally had something turn out well on the food end!

I was able to devise a plan pretty quickly, luckily we had just done our weekly shopping and had meals planned. Millet is gluten free as far as I know. Bob's red mill is marked gluten free, not certified but they are tested. I have never had a problem with their products that are marked gluten free. Millet is much easier for me to digest than oats, but I prepare it nearly the same as I used to prepare oats. Very tasty, keeps me full and my tummy happy.