• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

GF Lover

Are You Happy?

Rate this topic

Happy Happy  :D

Good question,

I tend to be happy 85% of the time, up until a year ago, I was living a nightmare, and depressed after a patch of bad luck when the recession hit back in 08. During that time I had a lot of people be real mean jerks to me, but that is my past. I recently looked at my life and started taking notes at what is good going on.

Life is getting better

My hubby and I both finished school.

We both work in the field we attended school for.

I moved out of a seriously horrid and flat out scary as heck neighborhood, to a place that is  well that'll do pig.

I stopped moping or having online rage at crazy stuff I read online that is nuts and started doing a hobby, that I've been interested in.

I found this site and have talked on these forums with  excelllent peeps.

so yea I can say I am pretty darn happy anymore.

Daughters house is big and the kitchen is completely gluten-free....and she has horses for us to ride :)

Horses leads me to think there's plenty of land to go wandering on...I'm game!! When is the party?

But anywho, I am happy to finally be able to do things and not feel like crap! I am happy the the mention of celiac puts a stop to things before they get started (for those that stalk, I mean follow my posts, dietary restrictions is a no for that girl), but hey, at least she was honest about it and neither of us "wasted" any time! I am also happy that tomorrow is the first support group meeting that I have found in my area! Hoping to get some good pointers on safe places to eat, and meet some local silly yaks!

Horses leads me to think there's plenty of land to go wandering on...I'm game!! When is the party?

But anywho, I am happy to finally be able to do things and not feel like crap! I am happy the the mention of celiac puts a stop to things before they get started (for those that stalk, I mean follow my posts, dietary restrictions is a no for that girl), but hey, at least she was honest about it and neither of us "wasted" any time! I am also happy that tomorrow is the first support group meeting that I have found in my area! Hoping to get some good pointers on safe places to eat, and meet some local silly yaks!

Awesome! Hope you find some great new Sillyak buds :)

Honey, I think there is a big difference between being sad and being unhappy, at least in the context of this thread. I AM happy, but of course I experience sadness.

I am sad that I lost Grommit a few weeks ago. I am sad that another close friend died last week of a heart attack. I'm worried about one of my best friends who has cancer. I'm even angry that a person I thought was a true friend has betrayed me recenty.

But all of these negative things are riding on the surface of my core of happiness. Do you know what I'm trying to say? Underneath all the bad stuff is a great big pile of happiness. It's kind of like if you had a big old block of gold and someone threw some dirt over it. The gold may be dirty but it's still gold and still worth just as much.

I know none of the dirt is my fault. And sweet girl, YOU need to know that none of your sorrows are your fault either. No one got sick because of you. Indeed, the ones you love who got sick and your sisters who died had more happiness in their lives because of the love they feel for you and the love you give back to them. You made/make everything BETTER for them. So yes, be sad, but also be grateful that you brought/bring a smile to their hearts.

Being as sick as you are is another thing entirely. It must be so hard for you. But I ask you to try concentrating on the good stuff - the love of your family and friends, your upcoming trip, the sunshine, music, and most of all, the Lord. Put everything in His hands with the knowledge that He knows what is best for all of us, and that the suffering we endure here will be balanced by the happiness He will give us later. No matter what, always say think and feel "Thy will be done" and the result will be pure joy.

I can be happy, if I remember what's written in the Bible. Not to complain when trials come my way but to see them as pure joy. Sounds crazy right? The Lord only allows hard times for two reasons; Satan wants to crush you with the trials of life, and God wants to see you rise above!

I'm standing pretty TALL today :D Thank you God for your strength! I will have to borrow it for many years to come!

I'm definitely happy. That is despite being 63 and dealing with all the "joys"of creeping old age.

Consider:

1) I retired early, 6 years ago.

2) I enjoy SCUBA diving and take trips with friends to Belize, Little Cayman, Palau and many other places. Dove the Maldives in the Indian Ocean and spent several hours in Dubai on the return trip. BTW, when we were in Palau, the boat stopped one afternoon at a beach where we had a picnic. The next year, the Ulong tribe on Survivor used that same beach for their camp!

3) Have taken up the piano and, believe it or not, am getting better (OK, OK, a "little" bit better!!). Recently, I've started to toy with learning to play Boogie Woogie style.

4) Took up gardening, over time removed all my grass and created one big garden according to the guidelines of the National Wildlife Federation's Backyard Wildlife Habitat certification program. I wake up to bird song now and see tons of birds. Yesterday, I enjoyed a 15 minute aerial ballet of 2 hummingbirds. There are lots of butterflies too and I eagerly watch for their caterpillars.

5) I have time to read and do so widely. We have a great library here so it's all free. They have e-books so some I can download to my iPad.

6) Have a Netflix account and stay up-to-date with films and some TV shows. Cut the cable and stream everything now.

7) Like photography and have taken some fairly good wildlife photos.

8) Swim at the Y on a regular basis for exercise.

It does tend to be a grind at times but it is great.