BlessedMommy

Golden Prairie Certified Gluten Free Millet And Oats

Rate this topic

I got a 25 lb bag of millet today and a 25 lb bag of oats that were both Golden Prairie brand today. I'm really pleased with the reasonable prices and the fact that it is certified gluten free. The oats came out to $1.64 per pound ($41 per 25 lb bag) and the millet was $1.36 per pound. That is not much more than the non certified millet from the other bulk supplier.

The price on the bag of oats saved me $14 over buying Bob's Red Mill gluten free oats in bulk. (BRM is $55 for a 25 pound bag)

http://www.goldenprairieinc.com/

I was told no oats for a year.  I'm going to miss my oatmeal in the mornings when winter comes!!  I'm not sure if millet is close enough to oats/wheat that I should avoid that as well.  

No, millet is an entirely different grain than oats and it's considered completely acceptable for celiacs, even newly diagnosed ones. As far as I know there's no celiac reason to avoid using millet as a cereal or millet flour in baked goods.

My favorite bread has millet flour in it.

Im cooking my millet for today and tomorrows breakfast right now. It is amazing. The texture is slightly different but I do love it for breakfast. I tried certified gluten free oatmeal and it was tasty of course, but It lead to me having symptoms of eating gluten, including D, heartburn and extreme fatigue! I said NO THANK YOU! and bought some millet the next week. It seems very easy to digest and it has alot of fiber and protein so it keeps me full and lively till late afternoon. I also think its very cost effective because 1/4 cup is a serving and it reheats well. For two days I cook

1/2 cup millet (rinse in a mesh strainer)

2 cups water

dash of salt

bring water to a boil and add millet.

In a covered pot, kick heat down to a simmer and simmer till water is gone, like rice.

leave the cover on and let this sit for another 10 minutes or so with the heat off. It absorbs so much water sitting there.

add almond milk, sugar, honey, cinnamon, dried fruits, nuts, whatever you would like in oatmeal. and enjoy!

I am looking for gluten-free oats or oat flour that were NOT made in the same facility as one that processes nuts. Do you know if these oats are nut-free?

The best way to find that out would be to call or email the different companies to ask.

edit - just looked at their website - doesn't look like they make anything but miller and oats.  But you could easily contact them and ask.

Edited by kareng