This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dh And Pregnancy

lizhar

lizhar Newbie

Hi all! Been reading a lot of the topics on this site and finally decided to make a profile. Ive been diagnosed with celiac and dermatitis herpetiformis for about 7 years now & treating it with dapsone. My dermatologist did a skin biopsy that confirmed. So no question about  what the rash actually is, I know it's definitely DH. The dapsone did keep the rash under control, as well as (trying) to follow a strict gluten free diet. although i would indulge sometimes when i was first diagnosed, i've learned that it's just not worth it anymore as my rash has gotten worse over the years… it was just manageable with the medication b/c even if there was possible cross contamination, i feel like the dapsone helped the rash to not come out? if that makes sense… 

Anyway, now i'm pregnant and haven't been taking any dapsone. & i must've gotten glutened good because my rash is back and in full force! My doctor says taking the dapsone as needed shouldn't cause any harm… but i think she's an idiot and it's far too strong of a drug soooooo i just haven't been taking it.  I don't want to risk the possible side effects it could cause to an unborn baby. 

i guess my question is, how long after getting glutened does it typically take for the rash to heal and subside? it's been 3 weeks since i ate a restaurant that i'm pretty positive had some cross contamination, and its been just a few days since i drank a decaf skinny vanilla latte from starbucks (Their light syrups DO contain gluten) <_< SO STUPID!!!!!!! i'm just curious to know how long i'll be dealing with this particular outbreak because it is making me miserable. maybe i'm also just here to vent too! DH SUCKS!!!!! lol  :rolleyes: Also, what's the deal with all this iodine and salacylates sensitivity talk a lot of you keep mentioning?? I don't think i'm quite ready to cut iodine out of my diet just yet, as i've read that it can be crucial to the brain development of babies…  Theres quite a bit of it in my prenatal vitamin. however, i don't know if it's been worsening my outbreak, i think (& really hope) i just got glutened real bad… 

thanks for reading! i appreciate any and all feedback !!! :ph34r:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SMRI Collaborator

Open Original Shared Link

Your hormones are so whacky in pregnancy that who knows what is causing the outbreak but I would generally say just being pregnant is the cause.

squirmingitch Veteran

You just have to make SURE you do not get the tiniest amount of gluten! The pregnancy hormones do have an impact on dh too. Many people never had dh & when they got pregnant, it presented.

No way to tell you how long. Everyone is an individual & then throw in your pregnancy & it's anybody's game.

Being pregnant, I would not limit your iodine intake. As to the salicylates --- don't worry about it.

lizhar Newbie

Very good points. I never even thought my hormones could be worsening the DH.... makes sense though!  Thanks for you quick replies, i appreciate it a lot!!!!  ^_^

Archived