• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

ezgoindude

Anyone Take Steroids To Help Calm Inflammation/symptom Improvement? Or Anticholinergic Like Dicyclomine?

Rate this topic

Whether celiac or NCGI or autoimmune disorders, anyone on the forum have or is currently taking steroids?  would it only be short term improvement?  did it cause more hurt than good?

I ask of this as my new GI has me under the NCGI/eosinophillic disorder assumptions currently,  since he's confirmed I don't have crohns he would like me to start taking dicyclomine, since he believes it would cause my colon to calm down,  as currently what he thinks is a very sensitive small intestine that isnt giving enough time to absorb what it should. (only things i'm deficient on was vit d, weight currently is static)

I look at the dicyclomine warnings though, and it boldly states "do not take if you have chronic inflammation". 

Well isn't that what food intoleranes primarily cause?  my fecal calprotection was slightly elevated last year, so I know I have inflammation somewhere.

Would steroids be a better route?  I know I'm sounding impatient but this is all hypothetical questions if things don't improve, not looking for doctor advise just your guys awesome opionions.  Thank you

Whether celiac or NCGI or autoimmune disorders, anyone on the forum have or is currently taking steroids?  would it only be short term improvement?  did it cause more hurt than good?

I ask of this as my new GI has me under the NCGI/eosinophillic disorder assumptions currently,  since he's confirmed I don't have crohns he would like me to start taking dicyclomine, since he believes it would cause my colon to calm down,  as currently what he thinks is a very sensitive small intestine that isnt giving enough time to absorb what it should. (only things i'm deficient on was vit d, weight currently is static)

I look at the dicyclomine warnings though, and it boldly states "do not take if you have chronic inflammation". 

Well isn't that what food intoleranes primarily cause?  my fecal calprotection was slightly elevated last year, so I know I have inflammation somewhere.

Would steroids be a better route?  I know I'm sounding impatient but this is all hypothetical questions if things don't improve, not looking for doctor advise just your guys awesome opionions.  Thank you

Hi there - I took Bentyl and it hardly touched my issues, and I had very negative side effects. It made me really loopy and gave me headaches.

Did you GI do a colonoscopy to check for Crohn's? The reason I ask is mine suspected microscopic colitis, apparently this is far more common in celiacs than the general population. The biopsies (they need to take several up and down the colon) confirmed it, and the Enterocort really did the trick in a matter of days. I can eat just about everything except legumes now - even my lactose intolerance has gotten better. Nightshades aren't a problem anymore (thank you, just in time for tomato season!)

I'd ask about MC - if they checked for that. The steroids do a great job of alleviating symptoms. I feel a billion times better, physically and mentally, since taking them. Whether it's short or long term apparently depends on the person. I still have a few weeks of a 3-month course, so I'll find out soon if it solved the issue or not.

I took dicyclomine for a while before going gluten free. This was before I started expecting gluten. It didn't harm me, but it didn't help either. It's supposed to calm a spastic colon. Dr's prescribe it for ibs. It may help if your cramping or constipated. Just make sure it's gluten free.

Hello coffngrl!

Thank you on the reply, yea I can't find the bottle I bought, haven't touched the stuff, bought it at the target pharmacy.

As for my testing, I've done a lot, actually was about to post my results on my personal topic page. In the past few months I've done an endoscopy, colonoscopy and ct scan with barium, I received perfect results on my ct, with my endo the gi doc says by his visuals my duodenum looked flat and irritated, but the ONE biopsy he took came back normal. For my colonoscopy, visually he said I'd had one of the healthiest bowels he's seen, my biopsy came back with:

Cecum and right ascending colon biopsy: colonic mucosa with patchy mucosal eosinophilia.

Am I seeing a second gi, both of which agreed I do not have crohns based on these results, they cannot find damage or wall thickening, ulcerations, the only abnormality is slightly elevated eosinophils

My new gi is pushing severe food intolerances, and mumbled that in some cases your body needs a jump start in healing, and steroids would possibly calm things down while I keep a food journal of what could be triggers aside from gluten and grains.

Anyways it's comforting to hear you feel so much better in figuring things out while on the steroids. I'm getting new insurance I won't expect a new consultation until November, if you don't mind I will befriend you! Would appreciate hearing how you feel when weening off of the steroids

Hello elless

You beat me to the post with my epic description of woe, ha..

How did you know it was gluten free? The list they give me just describes all the possible things it could do to you, aka disclaimer I think. I'm definitely not constipated, my new gi is very knowledgeable but stubborn, when i see him again this fall I know he'll want to do a trial run