Bkingfamily

Vitamin Help

Rate this topic

My son has celiac and is almost five years old. We have done an extremely strict gluten-free diet for 4 1/2 months but he still doesn't seem well to me. He's still getting constipated and seems tired just to name a few symptoms. Celiac is in my family so I am very aware of cross contamination and checking products for hidden gluten.

I feel like his gut isn't healed and he need extra vitamins or supplements. Any suggestions?

I have researched and found suggestions of magnesium, B-12, L-glutimine but all geared for adults. Have any of you given your children extra vitamins and supplements??

My 13 year has not tested positive for celiac disease, but I give her gluten-free Gummie type Vitamins (e.g. Calicum, multi and omega-3). But, even though your son is a kid and they can heal faster, I think you need more time for healing. I would ask your doctor to check for deficiencies before adding single ingredient type vitamins. It can be easy to over dose.

Think about making sure his diet is super healthy!

My daughter is 5 and has celiac, and she takes the chewable Animal Parade multivitamin. That's seemed to agree with her the best out of all the brands we tried. We got it in a health food store, but it may be in some mainstream stores too. The dietician at her GI's office recommended giving her the adult chewable Caltrate tablet too, since she can't tolerate milk and needs more calcium, but it started giving her tummy aches so we stopped after a while. (Their website says it's gluten-free, so it was probably just irritating her stomach for some other reason, not necessarily gluten cc.) I haven't found a good solution for the calcium thing yet.

Oh, and Bkingfamily, I see that this was your first post. Welcome to the forum!

Edited by greenbeanie