BoJonJovi

Any One Have Respiratory Issues; Yea Or Nay.

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed as Celiac at 53. I was asymptomatic or so I thought; i never smoked and was a teacher. I now realize I have had Celiac all of my life

I have had severe asthma , seasonal allergies, and chronic lung inflation all my life. 

It seems when i read these boards many Celiacs have asthma but it is hard to get a handle on how many.

I suspect my allergies, asthma and COPD are related to my Celiac. I have seen the same allergist/immunologist trained at National Jewish for decades. He missed it. I was the one that actually requested an endo  when I had my over 50 colonoscopy. That is when it was found. 

I would like to see members just check in and say lungs clear or have had respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis..... i suspect the correlation is higher than what is thought. I am thinking of this as a mini lab.

Welcome to the forum!

I have asthma, allergies, get bronchitis at the drop of a hat, but I also have other conditions that help that along.  Here are a few links to articles you may find interesting:

http://www.celiac.com/categories/Celiac--Disease--Research..--Associated--Diseases--and--Disorders/Asthma--and--Celiac--Disease-c-3466

http://www.celiaccentral.org/research-news/Celiac-Disease-Research/134/vobid--4986/

Yay.

Well as always further detail is warranted.

Had minor asthma (turns out was not) for several decades.

Son had breathing issues and cronic "smoker" type cough from age 7. Was his main symptom as child. Gone at age 20, 5 years gluten-free.

I agree with Laura, get your total IgG, including subclasses tested and see if those are normal.  I'm going to guess they are not, and that at minimum, you are low in sub-class 2--which helps fight off all the upper-respiratory stuff.

i had asthma for a long time.  i smoke, so i chalked it up to that.  4 years gluten-free and it's pretty much gone.  my mother died of lung cancer and never smoked a day in her life :(  

i had bronchitis and pneumonia on a regular basis prior to celiac dx.  i haven't had to take any (ANY) antibiotics since i've been gluten free.  

i suspect you will see many (seemingly unrelated) symptoms clear up once your body is running on the right 'fuel'  :)  good luck & welcome to the board :)

I am wondering is anyone of you notice a relation between lung and GI issues. I tend to alternate. After a recent bout of flu/bronchitis/pneumonia (with a bit of Asthma on the side) but no GI issues, i finally got all that better, and GI issues returned. Are these different ways to manifest the illness?  I am very curious about how these things relate, as I've been plagued by both (but usually not at the same time) my whole life. But maybe it just like if your foot is sore and you get whacked on the head you don't notice your foot anymore? 

I am wondering is anyone of you notice a relation between lung and GI issues. I tend to alternate. After a recent bout of flu/bronchitis/pneumonia (with a bit of Asthma on the side) but no GI issues, i finally got all that better, and GI issues returned. Are these different ways to manifest the illness?  I am very curious about how these things relate, as I've been plagued by both (but usually not at the same time) my whole life. But maybe it just like if your foot is sore and you get whacked on the head you don't notice your foot anymore? 

There are inflammatory diseases that can manifest in this way.  Celiac disease can cause many symptoms, and can occur with other conditions and weaken your body if it is left untreated.  If you are going to be tested for Celiac disease, make double sure they run a total IgG and IgA level.  Low levels of those can cause these kinds of symptoms as well.