manaja

Ttg-Iga Test Positive

Rate this topic

Hi , I have had stomach problems for a long time on and off for years  , over the last few years it has got worse , my doctor originally diagnosed ibs , just by my symptoms , he gave me colofac , but I went back to him a few weeks ago where he did a blood test.ttd -iga,  The results he said were positive for Coeliac, he said the lab reports  stated a "strong possibility of Coeliac disease ", I dont go to the toilet every day , I can eat bread and other things , sometimes my stools are quite normal , but othertimes i have an urgency to rush to the toilet, then sometimes they float , are sticky. 

The doc has me down for an endescopy biopsy to confirm , but i would of thought i would have symtoms all of the time if i was Coeliac , I dont remember the numbers on the blood test , are the test quite accurate ? Many thanks.

The blood tests are very accurate if you are eating gluten when they are performed--which it sounds like you were.  There are over 300 symptoms for Celiac and even then, some people have no symptoms.  When is your scope scheduled?

The blood tests are very accurate if you are eating gluten when they are performed--which it sounds like you were.  There are over 300 symptoms for Celiac and even then, some people have no symptoms.  When is your scope scheduled?

Hi , I have just received a letter for the hospital the scope should be in the next couple of weeks , the doctor has me marked as "urgent", which worried me , although he did say the other tests , liver and blood were ok , just the Coeliac was abnormal

Hi , I have just received a letter for the hospital the scope should be in the next couple of weeks , the doctor has me marked as "urgent", which worried me , although he did say the other tests , liver and blood were ok , just the Coeliac was abnormal

Keep eating gluten until after the endoscopy is completed to get the best, most accurate results. He may have just marked it urgent to get a quicker time slot so you can go gluten-free and start feeling better.

My doctors think I have had undiagnosed Celiac for most of my life, 37 years.  My symptoms were on again, off again for years.  Sometimes I would actually feel good.  The last two years is when it got to be really bad, an almost every day occurrence. Celiac is a weird disease and never consistent.  Hope you get to feeling better once you can start your gluten free diet.  Welcome to the board.

Since you are still going to be eating gluten until all tests are done, I would suggest studying up a little.  There is a "newbie" thread under the Coping section the is really helpful and try and learn about cross contamination.

Welcome to the forum!

Some Celiacs get what are thought of as atypical symptoms or no outward symptoms at all.  The blood test is a good indicator of the autoimmune activity that accompanies Celiac, and the endoscopy will give you a good idea of what kind of damage is going on in there.  The doctor probably marked you as urgent so you would be scheduled in ahead of the people who are just getting their routine checkup scopes done.

It is likely that you will be told to go gluten-free, so I would take this time to eat up what is in your pantry, and research the gluten-free diet a little bit.  Here is a link to the newbie thread that others have mentioned: http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask us!  Let us know how the endoscopy goes.