Rate this topic

Has anyone noticed that fatty foods were more difficult to digest before going gluten free? I am wondering if fat malabsorption is related to villi damage. Also,  has anyone cut down on fat in an effort to lose weight?

I seemed to have a lot of issues in the months before diagnosis with fatty foods, but I think that it was probably more related to my completely useless gallbladder. I ended up having it removed in an emergency surgery which is also when I was diagnosed. Before my gallbladder started acting like a petulant toddler having tantrums constantly I never noticed any problems with a particular type of food, not even fatty ones.

As for cutting down on fat? Nope. I've been slowly but steadily losing weight since a few months after my diagnosis. It would probably be going faster if I weren't struggling with additional health problems that leave me pretty physically limited. I eat whatever I want, whenever I want. If I want late night ice cream, I have it. If I want cupcakes, I make them. Tonight is chicken alfredo for dinner which can hardly be considered a low fat meal. If you look at the lower fat alternatives to foods at the store they're usually full of weird fillers and ingredients no human should ever eat. There isn't a magic trick to weight loss other than burning more calories than you eat. Although eating a healthy balanced diet really helps you to have more energy. Healthy fats are a perfectly good part of a healthy diet and I don't hesitate to include them. I use real butter because margarine? Ew! It's not even food. I won't buy skim milk because vitamin D is fat soluble so it's like drinking juice imo, a pointless venture with way better alternatives. Barring a health reason to avoid it, fat has a place in a healthy diet even for people attempting to drop weight. Yes, I've "only" dropped 30 pounds in 2 years but that isn't because of my diet it is because of my limited physical activity. I'd be down twice that if I could truly use my elliptical instead of sort of use it. And I think it's a fine amount to have lost for someone with the activity level of a pet rock, and I feel it it proves (at least to myself) that my diet is just fine and I should keep on keeping on with my philosophies.