Rate this topic

I'm a 16 year old athlete who isn't the biggest guy out there. For the past week I was looking for a mass gainer that was 100% gluten-free. Today I found a product by Muscle Pharm "Arnold Iron Mass" that claims on it's labelling it's gluten free. I even checked the allergen warning and wheat does not show up in there...Perfect, I found my product. After buying it I still wanted to know what medical ingredients it had, and what shows up next confused me a lot.    Barley Starch.

After searching the internet to find out more about this ingredient I couldn't find a single thing about it. We all know that when it comes to being celiac Barley is a no-no so then how can a product claim it's gluten free, and contain something as shady as Barley starch.

What do you guys think because I'm pretty upset I might have wasted 50$ on false advertising

NOTE***There's a star next to the gluten free claim and it leads to a statement saying these claims have not been tested by the FDA

Hi Paul and Welcome.  

You really peaked my curiosity here.  I searched and seached, nothing that says this is safe for Celiacs.  I don't understand the gluten-free claim either.  Hopefully someone else will have some info on "Barley Starch".  I would not use it without knowing more, if at all.

Colleen

Well, I have a corn intolerance and I know that CORN starch has no corn protein left in it. Don't know a thing about barley starch, but I wouldn't chance it. It may not have any protein in it, but why risk it?

Have you checked into Muscle  Egg?  It's pure egg white and all flavors are gluten free.  It's expensive, so order it when they have specials around the holidays.  I've been drinking it for awhile.  Only 120 calories in a cup, but 25 mg. of protein.

Sounds shady to me.  Companies like that are the ones that seem to break the rules more often... I would go with something that is a safer bet.