Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

icelandgirl

Looking For Really Yummy Bread, Hamburger Buns, Etc.

Rate this topic

Hey all...

I have a somewhat shared kitchen still.  I prepare all meals gluten free, but my kids still have their crackers, waffles, cereals and breads.  I'd like to be able to move away from that.  I'm wondering if anyone has a bread and/or hamburger bun that they use that is great.  I like the Udi's burger buns, but my kids don't.  Too thick or something.  Also, we haven't found a sandwich bread that anyone loves. 

I'm looking for either a bread/bun to buy or a recipe to make.  If anyone has anything to share, I'd love to hear it.  Thanks

Red Robin sells the gluten-free burgers they use.  They are individually packaged so that is really nice.  They taste pretty good and aren't as big as Udi buns from the grocery store.

Thanks for that tip.  Unfortunately the Red Robin here uses buns that are really thick and dense.  My kids didn't like them either.  :(

Well, that is a bummer.  I'd love to find something.  When I'm packing lunches it's such a pain...constantly washing hands, etc.  But so far none of the store breads we've tried have been great.

I wish I could say I have found an awesome bread. They all are super dense and never that nice soft gluten texture that I particularly love for PB&J sammies. If I ever come across one it will be shared with all.

I wish I could say I have found an awesome bread. They all are super dense and never that nice soft gluten texture that I particularly love for PB&J sammies. If I ever come across one it will be shared with all.

Yep, that's it.  So dense.  My husband went gluten free when I was diagnosed and was just telling me he has a hard time getting through the whole sandwich...just too dense.  Sigh.  If you do find...please share!

If you like those multi-grain breads with all the nutty bits in them, Canyon Bakehouse is really good.

I have used Three Bakers bread, and buns. They are as close to regular buns as I have found. I used to find them occasionally at our local Meijers,but now order them through Amazon, or my local store in bulk. I also toast them with a little butter before using them and do so with most of my breads on a light setting, or on the grill. My son who has celiacs likes his sandwiches prepared on the light setting. I just learned that refrigerating our breads and buns only driest gem out even more. My store where I buy them recommended double bagging them before refrigerating or freezing.

I have used Three Bakers bread, and buns. They are as close to regular buns as I have found. I used to find them occasionally at our local Meijers,but now order them through Amazon, or my local store in bulk. I also toast them with a little butter before using them and do so with most of my breads on a light setting, or on the grill. My son who has celiacs likes his sandwiches prepared on the light setting. I just learned that refrigerating our breads and buns only driest gem out even more. My store where I buy them recommended double bagging them before refrigerating or freezing.

Ooh...will have to check those out.

My whole family loves Schar frozen hearty grain bread. Recently our local Stop & Shop stopped carrying it, and I'm so sad! I haven't been able to find it anywhere else. Schar's shelf-stable pizza crusts are good too (they're pre-cooked and individually wrapped - you add toppings and bake briefly). I'm not crazy about their other shelf-stable breads, but the frozen hearty grain is delicious.

Trick for hamburger buns: I use Udi's. Defrost them in the microwave and then mash them a little flat. Next smear with butter and toast on a griddle or skillet. They are really good that way.

I once got some english muffins from the freezer section at the health food store. I can't remember the brand right now, but they too were really thick. They had more of a bread consistancy than and english muffin consistancy. I cut them into three slices instead of two. I used the top and bottom for a bun and saved the middle slice for toast.

Trick for hamburger buns: I use Udi's. Defrost them in the microwave and then mash them a little flat. Next smear with butter and toast on a griddle or skillet. They are really good that way.

This is how I prepare Udi's buns also...I use a cast iron griddle, coat the buns with coconut oil or EarthBalance, and use a bacon press or a glass cover to weight them down a bit. Keep a close eye on them, they heat up pretty fast on the cast iron grill. I love them done this way!!

I have yet to find a recipe that works for me.

Unfortunately, the only way I've been able to make nice fluffy bread that stays together is to use the Expandex/modified tapoica starch. I've taken a few recipes from GFOAS Bakes Bread and skipped the ridiculous double rise that never works for me. I've made loaf after loaf of satisfying bread. It's not Wonder Bread light, but it's a reasonable facsimile for gluten bread.

Here's one that kind of works, but I find falls apart a little too easily.

http://www.allergyfreealaska.com/2012/03/12/gluten-rice-free-multigrain-bread/

I don't like the taste of millet, so I substituted 1/2 white rice/brown rice flours instead.

The concept is there, however. gluten-free bread is really fun, because you can mix your own blends of flours, so long as you stick to the ratios of starch/protein flours, dry/wet, sugar and salt.

The molasses adds a bit of flavor, so definitely use it, and the honey.

I make 1-2 loafs per week, and have stopped buying store bread. It lasts great at room temp for a couple days, then I freeze what's leftover. Don't refrigerate or it will fall apart.