emsimms

Salt - Which One Are You Using?

Rate this topic

What type of salt is best to use for healthy nutrition in general and esp. in case of food intolerances?
So far I bought the regular table salt (and assumed it is safe...) but now I saw that some of the brands have nasty additives in it. Sigh, even in salt??!!

Yes, even in salt.  After I realized that magnesium stearate (used to keep salt from clumping, I believe) is an issue for me.  I read the label to make sure all I am getting is salt.  These days I get, "Real Salt."  I have also been known to purchase sea salt, but one still must watch the label if they don't want anti-caking agents.  Don't forget if you get a processed product that the salt in that might not list ingredients.

Magnesium Stearate, I believe, is usually derived from corn.  Do you know that you have trouble with corn?  I am not saying you do, just wondering if you do.  I think my corn problem and magnesium stearate problem are related.

I also use Real Salt. It's a rock, mined in Utah (so I also feel good about supporting a local business since I live here), and is simply mined, ground up, and put in a package. The bonus is that it tastes like nothing you've ever had before and once you try it you'll never go back to that crap you call salt now. I'll occasionally have some sea salts in the house, but they aren't something I keep around as a general rule.

Thanks so much for sharing your insight!

My son has a lot of intolerances, and I am keeping corn out of the picture more as a precaution esp. when he is sick. That's very interesting about the magnesium stearate and corn, it makes processed foods even more of an issue, doesn't it?!

Thanks again!

I used to have high blood pressure. It was "cured" when I stopped eating iodized salt. I only eat sea salt or kosher. The improvement was from either:

A. I am severely intolerant to corn...learning that there is corn in iodized salt gave me one more way to avoid it.

B. people with mastocytosis are often intolerant to iodine, so the iodine could have caused the reaction.

Good luck!

I am so sorry to hear about your problems but I am glad that you at least figured out the salt issue. (Step by step, isn't it?!)

I will be buying pure salt today. Does anyone have an advice what brand to choose here in Canada? (I'll order Real Salt online, though.)

Thanks everyone!