WinterSong

Problem Making Almond Flour

Rate this topic

Anyone here make their own almond flour? 

I have a high speed Blendtec blender and just tried making my own almond flour for the first time. I used about 8 oz of almonds and put them in the smaller blender jar on a low setting for a few seconds. I opened the top to find a texture that was kind of crumbly and was somewhere between almond flour and almond butter. I decided to take out half of the mixture and blend it up more. Came out almond butter after a few more seconds. 

Any tips?

Try short blasts of power.  I keep my almonds in the freezer.  I grind them in a food processor.  I recently made the mistake of putting only a cup in there and ended up with too coarse of flour.  In a blender, I have sometimes had trouble grinding nuts if I put more than l cup of nuts in.  I haven't recently had trouble turning almonds to nut butter accidently.  How about if you consider yours have extra fat and or moisture and try dryng them a little in the oven?  You might also try grinding frozen nuts.  I just keep mine in the freezer for freshness, but perhaps it helps them not turn to butter.

Dee

Thanks for the tip! I just put my almonds in the freezer. I also tried again this morning with less nuts and only blending it up for seven seconds. Seemed to work a little better. I'll keep working on it :)