Rate this topic

I'm possible celiac and am waiting to see a gastro to have further testing. I've been gluten free for about 2 months and wondering if this is a typical reaction to glutening.

I ate gluten food for 1 day so a fair amount of gluten and was fine the same day, the next morning I woke up feeling really far away, lightheaded and anxious, really horrible. The next morning I had a spell of heart palpitations. I felt better by about 3 days later. Then 2 nights ago I had a beer, that night I had to urinate way more than usual but woke up fine the next day aside from a little diarrhea, until I lay down to go to bed - had a string of palpitations but fell asleep anyway. Today I woke up with a tingling in my right arm, lightheadedness and extreme anxiety. Feel like adrenaline is surging through my body despite the fact I'm totally relaxed.

Are these typical symptoms of a celiac reaction?

Also wondering why after going gluten free my IBS symptoms went away for about 2 weeks then returned with a vengeance. Is this a sign of trace glutening or could it be a reaction to something else?

Most importantly, you need to be eating gluten before being tested so the tests will be accurate. You have two months, so eat up plenty glutenous foods! (Have a donut for me!!)

Those reactions do sound like an intolerance whether it be celiac or NCGS. I have a 1-2 day delay in reactions when I'm glutened. The third day is always my worst day.

I, too, felt my ibs symptoms returned and learned I had a lactose intolerance. I found I was also sensitive to nightshades, beans, and corn. So it's always something new.

Btw, you said possible celiac. What tests were run?

Yes, you do need to eat gluten before being tested, but keep in mind that if you've been gluten free for awhile, your symptoms when reintroducing it may be worse. You should not go overboard and eat gluten at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. One sandwich a day for the 2-3 month period is enough.

I was unable to complete my gluten challenge due to an extremely severe reaction on day 10 of it. In hindsight, I could have improved my chances of completing it successfully if I stuck to 1-2 slices of bread a day and ate all the rest of my food gluten free. 

Most importantly, you need to be eating gluten before being tested so the tests will be accurate. You have two months, so eat up plenty glutenous foods! (Have a donut for me!!)

Those reactions do sound like an intolerance whether it be celiac or NCGS. I have a 1-2 day delay in reactions when I'm glutened. The third day is always my worst day.

I, too, felt my ibs symptoms returned and learned I had a lactose intolerance. I found I was also sensitive to nightshades, beans, and corn. So it's always something new.

Btw, you said possible celiac. What tests were run?

ttg IgA blood test, found to be negative. Had an endoscopy due to esophagitis, surgeon that performed the endoscopy did a gastric biopsy and found what he said was "no signs of celiac" but admitted the biopsy was taken too high (in the stomach) for it to be conclusive. Said in his opinion I'm not celiac but he would send me to a gastroenterologist if I really wanted more tests but a second endoscopy was out of the question. Currently waiting to be referred but eating gluten free. My brother is diagnosed celiac and I've had bowel issues since the age of 12. Am also borderline B12 / folate / vitamin D deficient but I'm stonewalled by docs as I'm sitting on the edge of normal range.

I think that you should visit gastroenterologist, and about the gluten free diet... Gluten manifests differently at different persons, some of us that have Celiac might eat gluten food for a month and don't manifest a single symptom (im strictly talking about my self), and others can be on a gluten free diet for like 1 year, than eat one slice of bread that contains gluten and the next morning they can have like hundreds of symptoms..So in my opinion, I suggest that you should visit a gastroenterologist, and perhaps you might have to do one more endoscopy but after that I think that the GI is going to put you on a gluten challenge (Which most of them does), I read that your brother is diagnosed with celiac, but that doesn't mean anything, because I'm diagnosed with celiac and my whole family including my brother doesn't have a single sign of celiac.Just visit the GI ,and if you are able and if you want to feel free to contact me about his opinion and what he told you. :)

If your brother has Celiac, I'm assuming he carries one of the two genes that would have been passed down from mother/father.  Obviously these genes can also be passed to you.  Chances are 1 in 22 if you have a sibling with Celiac.

http://www.uchospitals.edu/pdf/uch_007937.pdf

Colleen

ttg IgA blood test, found to be negative. Had an endoscopy due to esophagitis, surgeon that performed the endoscopy did a gastric biopsy and found what he said was "no signs of celiac" but admitted the biopsy was taken too high (in the stomach) for it to be conclusive. Said in his opinion I'm not celiac but he would send me to a gastroenterologist if I really wanted more tests but a second endoscopy was out of the question. Currently waiting to be referred but eating gluten free. My brother is diagnosed celiac and I've had bowel issues since the age of 12. Am also borderline B12 / folate / vitamin D deficient but I'm stonewalled by docs as I'm sitting on the edge of normal range.

First of all, a biopsy for celiac is done in the small intestine, not the stomach, so this test is not really valid.

If you are gluten free, then reintroduce gluten and have the symptoms you describe here:

I woke up feeling really far away, lightheaded and anxious, really horrible. The next morning I had a spell of heart palpitations. I felt better by about 3 days later. Then 2 nights ago I had a beer, that night I had to urinate way more than usual but woke up fine the next day aside from a little diarrhea, until I lay down to go to bed - had a string of palpitations but fell asleep anyway. Today I woke up with a tingling in my right arm, lightheadedness and extreme anxiety. Feel like adrenaline is surging through my body despite the fact I'm totally relaxed.

then, you certainly have a gluten intolerance of some kind.

Have the genetic test done. Even it that is negative for celiac, you sound as if you have NCGS, in which case, it's up to you to determine

if being G F is the best thing for you. From what you are describing, it sure seems like it is. Why be miserable??

Just my opinion.