CeliacSasha

Frustrated Re: 9 Month Test Results

Rate this topic

Last November I was diagnosed with Celiac after a long journey thru a virual liver infection, and gall bladder failure and removal. I began a strictly gluten-free diet. I have not cheated. I actually did not have a lot of GI symptoms..... my biggest problem was when I any time drank beer (even 1-2 would make me as sick as if I drank a 12 pack in college), and that's what tipped off my GI doc. So I really don't feel any different since I've been eating gluten-free. I've actually gained 35 pounds since the viral liver infection 5 years ago. I am 40 years old.

Anyway, I just had the celiac panel done again and the results are leaving me scratching my head. Three of the four look great, but the Tissue Transglutaminase IgA Ab does not- it has even gone up a bit since I was checked in January. The nurse at my doc's office said to catalog all products I was using and what I was eating because they still think I am getting gluten somewhere and they want to repeat bloodwork in 2 months. I have done some research and think this result might mean I have an underlying autoimmune condition other than Celiac.... Basically I feel like crap (no energy, weight gain even though I eat well and exercise, tired all the time) and am looking for an answer.

Any thoughts?

Immunoglobulin A (desired 71-263)

10-18-13  269

1-31-14    265

8-25-14    254

Anti-Gliadin IgG Deaminated (desired 0-19)

10-18-13   68

1-31-14     22

8-25-14     7

Anti-Gliadin IgA Deaminated (desired 0-19)

10-18-13   205

1-13-14       19

8-25-14       13

Tissue Trasnglutaminase IgA Ab (desired 0-19)

10-18-13     182

1-31-14       113

8-25-14        159

Last November I was diagnosed with Celiac after a long journey thru a virual liver infection, and gall bladder failure and removal. I began a strictly gluten-free diet. I have not cheated. I actually did not have a lot of GI symptoms..... my biggest problem was when I any time drank beer (even 1-2 would make me as sick as if I drank a 12 pack in college), and that's what tipped off my GI doc. So I really don't feel any different since I've been eating gluten-free. I've actually gained 35 pounds since the viral liver infection 5 years ago. I am 40 years old.

Anyway, I just had the celiac panel done again and the results are leaving me scratching my head. Three of the four look great, but the Tissue Transglutaminase IgA Ab does not- it has even gone up a bit since I was checked in January. The nurse at my doc's office said to catalog all products I was using and what I was eating because they still think I am getting gluten somewhere and they want to repeat bloodwork in 2 months. I have done some research and think this result might mean I have an underlying autoimmune condition other than Celiac.... Basically I feel like crap (no energy, weight gain even though I eat well and exercise, tired all the time) and am looking for an answer.

Any thoughts?

Immunoglobulin A (desired 71-263)

10-18-13  269

1-31-14    265

8-25-14    254

Anti-Gliadin IgG Deaminated (desired 0-19)

10-18-13   68

1-31-14     22

8-25-14     7

Anti-Gliadin IgA Deaminated (desired 0-19)

10-18-13   205

1-13-14       19

8-25-14       13

Tissue Trasnglutaminase IgA Ab (desired 0-19).

10-18-13     182

1-31-14       113

8-25-14        159

Those are interesting.

I agree with you...both of the Deamidated Gliadin Peptide antibody results are clearly improved with the 1/13 and 8/25 tests.

Was there an EMA-IgA with any of these three test dates?

Was tTG-IgG been run with any of these three test dates?

Have you changed your kitchen situation or frequency of dining out between the January and August tTG antibody tests.

I would think that given the fact that the tTg IgA has a higher sensitivity and specificity that it would be the first to show a change if repeated cc's were occurring. Also, the half life of the gliadin antibodies is 120 days. So from 10/18 to 1/31 both gliadin levels went down by more then half in less than four months but eight months after that, they have actually increased if the half life is 120 days. You had dramatic decreases in the first four months and then it slowed dramatically.  I would say something has changed in between 1/31 and 8/25.

Thanks for the replies. Other than a CBC, this was the only bloodwork ordered by my GI doc. Everything on CBC looks good.

Nothing has changed, kitchen or eating out wise.... I actually feel I am *better* educated and thus more careful and diligent now than I was 2 month post diagnosis in January.....

Thoughts on if it could be another underlying autoimmune disorder?