This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Keep Getting Glutened! Beware Mission Tortillas!

Seeking2012

Seeking2012 Contributor

Mission Corn Tortillas...thought I was safe, but nope! From the manufacturer's website:

"Mission® corn products are produced with 100% corn masa flour; wheat ingredients are not added to the formulation.  These products include corn tortillas, corn tortilla chips, taco shells, and tostadas.  These products are produced in plants that also process wheat tortillas."

No wonder I felt sick after making what I thought was a gluten-free casserole!!!! Where do I get gluten-free tortillas now?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

I buy Mission tortillas and have never been glutened. There is flour in the facility, but not that close for cross contamination. I have not confirmed it, but they crank out so many tortillas that I am sure they have dedicated lines. There is a better chance of getting cross contaminated in a gluten-free trained restaurant for sure!

Mission's disclosure statement is basically to cover their A**. Their packages used to say gluten free, but since they do not test for gluten, they can not claim to be gluten free now.

I would look to the enchilada sauce or all that cheese.

Seeking2012 Contributor

I buy Mission tortillas and have never been glutened. There is flour in the facility, but not that close for cross contamination. I have not confirmed it, but they crank out so many tortillas that I am sure they have dedicated lines. There is a better chance of getting cross contaminated in a gluten-free trained restaurant for sure!

Mission's disclosure statement is basically to cover their A**. Their packages used to say gluten free, but since they do not test for gluten, they can not claim to be gluten free now.

I would look to the enchilada sauce or all that cheese.

The sauce I use is Pace Picante Medium, and I have verified that they are gluten-free. On the website they say they do testing for 20ppm every 6 months and that all ingredients are not CC with wheat. So it's not the sauce. I checked the cheese (we use Kraft and Sargento only) and Kraft is good. I'm waiting on an email back from Sargento.

Why do you think that Mission tortillas are very likely safe when they admit that their tortillas are processed on the same equipment that also process wheat? If a wheat tortilla just rolled by on their line ,would you want your corn tortilla to be next?

The ingredients I used for my casserole were:

Chicken, boiled

Pace Picante Medium salsa

Shredded Cheese (either Kraft or Sargento, I do not recall)

Zatarain's Spanish Rice (could this be it if the tortillas didn't do it????)

And I made all this in a glass casserole dish that had been washed previously...

cyclinglady Grand Master

Humm....I buy all those products except for the rice (I make my own). I guess it could be the tortillas, but we have never been glutened by them or any of our other local brands. All those brands, like Mission, are made in a shared facility, but they did not say that they were made on shared lines. We live in So Calif. and I can not imagine that they are run on shared lines out of sheer capacity needs. But anything is possible. I guess more research is needed.

The rice should indicate that it is certified gluten-free.

Digesting milk products is often an issue during celiac disease healing. Are you okay with them?

bartfull Rising Star

Their statement does NOT say they are produced on the same equipment, but in the same facility. There is a big difference. I would think if so many others here eat them with no problem it is something else that made you sick. I looked up the ingredients in the rice mix and although there is no gluten, there is soy and corn syrup solids. Maybe those are what is giving you trouble? 

Enriched Long Grain Parboiled Rice (Rice, Iron, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid), Onion, Red & Green Bell Pepper, Spices (Including Red Pepper), Salt Sugar, Yeast Extract, Soy Sauce (Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Corn Syrup Solids, Salt), And Garlic.

It could also be something you ate as much as two days earlier. A lot of us get delayed reactions. Or it could be a stomach bug which is going around right now. (The minute the kids get back to school it seems we ALL get sick.)

moosemalibu Collaborator

I buy Mission tortillas all the time. Not saying it's out of the realm of possibility but there are many here that have safely eaten Mission tortillas.

bartfull Rising Star

I see you are also questioning the cheese. The best thing you can do is wait a couple of weeks and when you're feeling better, try eating just one of the ingredients by itself. If you get sick you'll know that's it. If not, try another ingredient, etc. As I said above, it could be you've developed an intolerance to soy or corn syrup, or any of the other ingredients. It stinks, but it happens to a lot of us.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Seeking2012 Contributor

The problem is, I only have 1-3 days of feeling good, followed by 2-3 days of bad. This happens over and over and over and over. Foggy brain, no energy, can't think, can't focus, etc. And we can't seem to track down what causes it.

It doesn't take me a couple of weeks to start feeling better after an episode. It will take 1-3 days to feel better. But then it hits me again...

bartfull Rising Star

Hmm...You're SURE you're not getting CC'd from something in your house or at work? No double dipping in the peanut butter or mayo? All your meds and supplements are gluten-free? Separate toaster? No crumbs in the silverware drawer? How about your cookware? Not using the same cast iron or teflon pans you used to cook gluten in?

Did you go off dairy at first? A lot of us need to until we heal. Maybe dairy is the first thing you should stop eating for a while. The only way to know for sure is go back to nothing but plain whole foods - meats, veggies, and fruit. Plain rice. Sweet or white potatoes. (Believe me, you don't NEED butter on them.) Then keep a food and symptom diary. If the plain whole foods diet gets you feeling better, THEN start adding things one at a time.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I think you need time! Lots of it! I did not feel good until I had been gluten-free for 9 months. I am back to my old exercise routine and I am now back to cranking at work and my volunteer work and family life, but I still have off days. I know that I just do not have celiac disease. I have Hashi's, diabetes, allergies and food intolerances that I have identified along the way or have had most of my life. Not to mention menopause issues!

When I went gluten free I began eating all the yummy foods (minus my food allergies/intolerances) that I have made for my gluten-free hubby for 13 years. Lots of processed foods and junk (cake and cookies). Now, all that has been eliminated (for the most part) due to my diabetes. I eat to my meter. That means low carbs and more fat. That really eliminated lots of processed foods and that is when I began to feel better!

So I should have followed the advice on this forum and stuck to whole foods from the get go. I think I would have healed faster. Perhaps, you should consider a more whole foods approach for the next six months.

realityrain Newbie

I think a lot of us expected to go gluten free and feel great all the time and that's just not how it works for most of us. I had to go on the Autoimmune protocol, a strict elimination diet, to finally figure out that I can't handle nightshades or dairy either! I have added a few other foods back in that were out at the beginning but it takes a long time for your gut to heal and if you keep putting things in it that you are allergic or sensitive to it can't heal like it is supposed to. Honestly, my first thought was the enchilada sauce and cheese and not because of the gluten but because of the nightshades and dairy. Hope you figure it out! I felt almost as awful after going gluten free as when I ate gluten until I figured out the other things I can't eat and now I feel great! 

icelandgirl Proficient

I have eaten them without issues too...which is nice because I have issues with lots of things. Lol...

Anyway...I second going back to basics...All whole foods. Keep a diary, see if there's a pattern in there.

GottaSki Mentor

I think would try making the same thing without the rice and grate your own cheese (not because of gluten, two in my family react to the anti caking stuff in pre-grated cheese..took us a while to figure that one out).

Or better yet, just the tortilla would be the best test.

Hang in there....rooting these things out is beyond frustrating.

CajunChic Explorer

I also thought tortillas were glutening me. Turned out I am sensitive to corn! It took eliminating foods and reintroducing them to figure that out. It took some adjusting since many gluten-free products are corn based. I can eat small amounts, but when I don't pay attention, BIG sick!!

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Not all celiacs have the same level of sensitivity or other intolerances.  Just because another celiac can eat something doesn't mean that you can. 

You can read about that here: http://www.fda.gov/d...h/UCM264152.pdf

Health Hazard Assessment for Gluten Exposure in Individuals with Celiac Disease:
"Available evidence suggests that many aspects of the response of those afflicted with celiac disease to a gluten challenge vary widely. "

"Because of the significant degree of individual variability in the sensitivity and responsiveness to gluten found in those with celiac disease and the apparently narrow margin in the dose level between the no and low adverse effect levels, the UFs used in the safety assessment may not be adequate. Other UFs may be warranted to provide a sufficient level of protection for gluten-sensitive individuals, especially those who are the most sensitive within thissubgroup of individuals with celiac disease,"

You can keep a food/symptom journal and add only one thing per week or so and then you can figure out what exactly is bothering you.  It seems like shared facilities are a problem for some, shared lines are a problem for others, and washing well between use works well for another group.  Best wishes figuring out what problem you are having.

Seeking2012 Contributor

I just ate the mexican casserole again with those same tortillas and I'm feeling fatigued, foggy brained, tired, no motivation to do anything, and a headache might be coming on as well...I'll report back later. Maybe some of you are right: maybe its the corn. I don't know...I started a food diary same day I started this thread though.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I am sorry that you are feeling sick again.  It is tough when it seems like the only way to find out if something will make you sick is to have it make you sick.  I hope that you recover quickly.  I also hope that you make good progress at figuring out what is bothering you.  I hope that keeping the food diary helps.

• 4 months later...
MPE4 Newbie

I might be a little late to this form, but just for your information this letter is posted on Mission's website.

http://www.missionfoodservice.com/about/FAQs.aspx

http://www.missionfoodservice.com/userfiles/pdf/Letter_Gluten_free_products_Oct%202007_rev.pdf

October 11, 2007

GLUTEN FREE STATEMENT

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not released a final regulation that defines the use of the term “Gluten Free” in labeling; however, the FDA has issued a proposal (January 23, 2007) on the use of the term “Gluten Free”, when is, at this point, voluntary.

Based on such proposal, our corn based products do not contain Gluten or Gluten Derived ingredients since they are corn based products. Gluten ingredients are Wheat, Rye and Barley.

Corn based products produced by Mission Foods include:

• Corn Tortillas .

• Pre-Cut Unfried Chips .

• Pre-Fried Tortilla Chips .

• Taco Shells .

• Tostadas Caseras .

• Sopes

The above products are produced in lines totally dedicated for corn based products.

We use wheat flour and other wheat ingredients for other wheat based products. These products are produced in separate lines dedicated to wheat based products.

All of our plants have a comprehensive allergen control program in place to ensure incidental cross-contamination from allergen ingredients does not occur.

Mission Foods facilities do not use Rye or Barley ingredients.

Serielda Enthusiast

Before I was taken off of corn and soy among other things as it was discovered those also didn't like me either we used Rudi's spinach wraps . The only reason I being up corn Is some can't do corn either*masive frowns face as I loved it* Like others have stated some sensitivities can exist for some of us while others can eat that item fine.

Mission Corn Tortillas...thought I was safe, but nope! From the manufacturer's website:

"Mission® corn products are produced with 100% corn masa flour; wheat ingredients are not added to the formulation.  These products include corn tortillas, corn tortilla chips, taco shells, and tostadas.  These products are produced in plants that also process wheat tortillas."

No wonder I felt sick after making what I thought was a gluten-free casserole!!!! Where do I get gluten-free tortillas now?

HRDVM Newbie

I also discovered after going gluten-free that I can't eat corn, either :( Some corn tortillas (can't remember the brand) that were labeled gluten-free made me sick. I also tried gluten-free corn pasta and tortilla chips, but alas, I can't eat them without having symptoms. So, it could be corn or some other ingredient that you can't tolerate. However, I also can't eat anything that isn't processed in a dedicated gluten-free facility. I like black rice tortillas that I have found at Earth Fare- they look scary but they're good, even my husband liked them. I've also had some Goodbye Gluten shells from Publix that are ok.

Lrcurtis Newbie

This is a related question on the same topic of corn tortillas:

Does anyone happen to know about the brand Maria & Ricardo's tortillas? I have celiac and am vegan, but I can eat corn (chips and other brands of tortillas are generally fine). I bought their corn tortillas tonight for the first time and now I feel like I got glutened. The packaging doesn't explicitly say Gluten Free, but the ingredients are: White Corn Masa Flour (Whole grain white corn masa flour, trace of lime), Water, Cultured Corn Syrup Solids, Guar Gum. Anyone know what might be making me sick? Is it the "cultured corn syrup solids"? Nowhere on the packing does it say "contains: wheat."

kareng Grand Master

This is a related question on the same topic of corn tortillas:

Does anyone happen to know about the brand Maria & Ricardo's tortillas? I have celiac and am vegan, but I can eat corn (chips and other brands of tortillas are generally fine). I bought their corn tortillas tonight for the first time and now I feel like I got glutened. The packaging doesn't explicitly say Gluten Free, but the ingredients are: White Corn Masa Flour (Whole grain white corn masa flour, trace of lime), Water, Cultured Corn Syrup Solids, Guar Gum. Anyone know what might be making me sick? Is it the "cultured corn syrup solids"? Nowhere on the packing does it say "contains: wheat."

Why do corn tortillas need Corn syrup & guar gum?  I know you don't know.... I am just wondering.   :blink:  Corn syrup and guar gum are 2 things that some people have issues with.

Lrcurtis Newbie

Why do corn tortillas need Corn syrup & guar gum?  I know you don't know.... I am just wondering.   :blink:  Corn syrup and guar gum are 2 things that some people have issues with.

Thank you!

And, I don't know. You pose a great question! It sure seems like it has to be one of those two ingredients... I didn't know if there was any hidden gluten in them that anyone knew about...

• 2 weeks later...
CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

My two cents. In the beginning (especially), don't eat ANY foods that are clearly marked "made in a facility that shares....".

If you don't, you're only guessing that these foods aren't the problem. Then, you can add them in one at a time if you like.

I was diagnosed about 8 years ago and I still won't eat these foods. There are other choices and I don't want to play Russian Roulette.

Until it's mandated that equipment is sanitized to under 20 ppm or lower, I don't trust manufacturers to police themselves for our benefit.

Good luck.

• 2 years later...
GraemeH Newbie

I know this is an old topic but I've now had TWO instances (suffering through one while I write this) where I'm having "glutened" issues after eating Mission brand corn tortilla chips. Nothing else in the meal was suspect... only the chips. I've not had issues with Mission in the past, but two times in a row, now... makes me wonder. I know they state on their website about dedicated corn/wheat lines, etc. but I can't think of what else it could be. I eat lots of other corn products so it's not an allergy to corn.

Oh well... maybe I'll try them again in the future (and eat NOTHING else) to see if I get another reaction.