Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
6 6
Seeking2012

I Keep Getting Glutened! Beware Mission Tortillas!

Rate this topic

I eat them way too often and have no problems with them

16 minutes ago, kareng said:

I eat them way too often and have no problems with them

Me too.  We eat all their corn products.  I never worry about a glutening from them, but nothing is impossible, just unlikely.  

Not sure if they get distributed outside Canada/PNW, but Que Pasa makes certified gluten-free corn chips and tortillas if anyone is looking for extra safety. They are mainstream in most grocery stores here, and are the least expensive corn chips you can buy. Also legitimately very good.

I've never tried Mission, but I've had problems with gluten-free-labelled tortillas that were presumably made in non-dedicated facilities - these were smaller/local brands though, so less likely to have strict protocols. While corn is definitely on the safer side of things for CC, there is some potential due to shared agricultural equipment/storage as most farms do both wheat and corn in North America. Some studies looking at cereal grains show this too. This may not be a serious concern for most celiacs, but I suppose if you are sensitive and get a mild hot spot this might be problematic? At any rate, I now avoid corn-based products that are not certified since my unfortunate experience of poisoning myself for months with sketchy corn tortillas. 

AFAIK, Que Pasa chips are produced in a dedicated facility. All of the chips they sell, even the flavoured ones are certified, and the only other product they make is salsa (not labelled gluten-free, but has no glutenous ingredients).

• Upvote 1

Guys shredded cheese isn’t safe for celiac or gluten sensitive patients!  Many companies dust the cheese with gluten to keep it from sticking together they also do it with most candy!  I buy blocks and shred in my food processor!  Look for companies that are dedicated gluten free.  They don’t have to include it on the label because it’s not an ingredient in the recipe!  So crazy right???Also if the place isn’t dedicated gluten free then it isn’t safe for celiacs!  I love against the grain and sharr also for pasta jovial is the best  Good luck out there!  Go zero gluten.  Celiac is such a serious illness! 

4 hours ago, Tinachik said:

Guys shredded cheese isn’t safe for celiac or gluten sensitive patients!  Many companies dust the cheese with gluten to keep it from sticking together they also do it with most candy!  I buy blocks and shred in my food processor!  Look for companies that are dedicated gluten free.  They don’t have to include it on the label because it’s not an ingredient in the recipe!  So crazy right???Also if the place isn’t dedicated gluten free then it isn’t safe for celiacs!  I love against the grain and sharr also for pasta jovial is the best  Good luck out there!  Go zero gluten.  Celiac is such a serious illness! 

This is not true. It is another “ Celiac Myth” being spread around the internet.   When moist, flour gets sticky.  It would not work to keep cheese pieces from sticking. You will see that, at least in the US, they do list what is used to keep the cheese from sticking and it is never wheat flour. 

What is dusted on cheese and many packaged food is cornstarch.

Corn has the same genetic makeup as gluten. Most celiac and gluten sensitive people will react to the corn.  

56 minutes ago, starcaster2358 said:

What is dusted on cheese and many packaged food is cornstarch.

Corn has the same genetic makeup as gluten. Most celiac and gluten sensitive people will react to the corn.  

Actually, it is offen not corn starch these days - it’s cellulose or potato starch.  But, even if it were corn, corn is safe for Celiacs.  The protein in corn is not the same  as they proteins in wheat, rye or barley.  

Numerous studies have failed to detect any immunogenicity by prolamines outside of wheat, barley, and rye. Therefore, corn doesn’t contain gluten,”

https://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/does-corn-contain-gluten/

Edited by kareng
  • Like 1

Borden's shredded cheese is gluten free.  Read labels don't take chances.  When in doubt don"t take the chance of getting glutened it's never worth it.

Edited by NJshore13

Look at the dates on these topics, always. I buy Mission Tortillas at  Kroger and they are plainly marked Gluten Free. .Maybe this is something new