This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Keep Getting Glutened! Beware Mission Tortillas!

Seeking2012

kareng Grand Master

I eat them way too often and have no problems with them

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master
16 minutes ago, kareng said:

I eat them way too often and have no problems with them

Me too.  We eat all their corn products.  I never worry about a glutening from them, but nothing is impossible, just unlikely.  

apprehensiveengineer Community Regular

Not sure if they get distributed outside Canada/PNW, but Que Pasa makes certified gluten-free corn chips and tortillas if anyone is looking for extra safety. They are mainstream in most grocery stores here, and are the least expensive corn chips you can buy. Also legitimately very good.

I've never tried Mission, but I've had problems with gluten-free-labelled tortillas that were presumably made in non-dedicated facilities - these were smaller/local brands though, so less likely to have strict protocols. While corn is definitely on the safer side of things for CC, there is some potential due to shared agricultural equipment/storage as most farms do both wheat and corn in North America. Some studies looking at cereal grains show this too. This may not be a serious concern for most celiacs, but I suppose if you are sensitive and get a mild hot spot this might be problematic? At any rate, I now avoid corn-based products that are not certified since my unfortunate experience of poisoning myself for months with sketchy corn tortillas. 

AFAIK, Que Pasa chips are produced in a dedicated facility. All of the chips they sell, even the flavoured ones are certified, and the only other product they make is salsa (not labelled gluten-free, but has no glutenous ingredients).

• 1 year later...
Tinachik Newbie

Guys shredded cheese isn’t safe for celiac or gluten sensitive patients!  Many companies dust the cheese with gluten to keep it from sticking together they also do it with most candy!  I buy blocks and shred in my food processor!  Look for companies that are dedicated gluten free.  They don’t have to include it on the label because it’s not an ingredient in the recipe!  So crazy right???Also if the place isn’t dedicated gluten free then it isn’t safe for celiacs!  I love against the grain and sharr also for pasta jovial is the best  Good luck out there!  Go zero gluten.  Celiac is such a serious illness! 

kareng Grand Master
4 hours ago, Tinachik said:

Guys shredded cheese isn’t safe for celiac or gluten sensitive patients!  Many companies dust the cheese with gluten to keep it from sticking together they also do it with most candy!  I buy blocks and shred in my food processor!  Look for companies that are dedicated gluten free.  They don’t have to include it on the label because it’s not an ingredient in the recipe!  So crazy right???Also if the place isn’t dedicated gluten free then it isn’t safe for celiacs!  I love against the grain and sharr also for pasta jovial is the best  Good luck out there!  Go zero gluten.  Celiac is such a serious illness! 

This is not true. It is another “ Celiac Myth” being spread around the internet.   When moist, flour gets sticky.  It would not work to keep cheese pieces from sticking. You will see that, at least in the US, they do list what is used to keep the cheese from sticking and it is never wheat flour. 

starcaster2358 Rookie

What is dusted on cheese and many packaged food is cornstarch.

Corn has the same genetic makeup as gluten. Most celiac and gluten sensitive people will react to the corn.  

kareng Grand Master
56 minutes ago, starcaster2358 said:

What is dusted on cheese and many packaged food is cornstarch.

Corn has the same genetic makeup as gluten. Most celiac and gluten sensitive people will react to the corn.  

Actually, it is offen not corn starch these days - it’s cellulose or potato starch.  But, even if it were corn, corn is safe for Celiacs.  The protein in corn is not the same  as they proteins in wheat, rye or barley.  

Numerous studies have failed to detect any immunogenicity by prolamines outside of wheat, barley, and rye. Therefore, corn doesn’t contain gluten,”

https://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/does-corn-contain-gluten/

Edited by kareng

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NJshore13 Newbie

Borden's shredded cheese is gluten free.  Read labels don't take chances.  When in doubt don"t take the chance of getting glutened it's never worth it.

Edited by NJshore13
mbrookes Community Regular

Look at the dates on these topics, always. I buy Mission Tortillas at  Kroger and they are plainly marked Gluten Free. .Maybe this is something new 

• 8 months later...
Goodrose Newbie

Mission gluten free wraps got me.  Took me two or three times to figure it was the wrap.  Nothing else in meal was suspect.  Got sick within an hour of eating both time.  Meal included Turkey, swiss cheese,  mayo,  lays plain chips.  

GFinDC Veteran
6 hours ago, Goodrose said:

Mission gluten free wraps got me.  Took me two or three times to figure it was the wrap.  Nothing else in meal was suspect.  Got sick within an hour of eating both time.  Meal included Turkey, swiss cheese,  mayo,  lays plain chips.  

I haven't tried the Mission wraps.  But the regular corn tortillas are made on dedicated lines and are gluten-free.  I've had them many times without problems.

https://www.missionfoods.com/products/better-for-you/gluten-free-tortillas/

Are you talking about the Mission original gluten-free wraps or the spinach herb gluten-free wraps?

kareng Grand Master
7 hours ago, Goodrose said:

Are you sharing a Mayo jar with a gluten eater?

i have had the plain ones and been fine.  I haven’t tried the new flavor or seen it yet.  Mission has great gluten-free protocols.  They take it seriously.  

Gluten doesn’t make me sick in an hour.  For me? It takes a bit longer.  It actually has to leave the stomach and get into the small intestine and then have time to build a reaction.  

Edited by kareng
notme Experienced

I eat mission tortillas allllllllllll the time.  no GLUTEN reaction although my digestion was a little wonky when I first started being able to get and eat them.  I attributed that to different food that was processed so I had a little intestinal distress but not gluten reaction, which includes all sorts of different lovely symptoms such as headache, body fatigue, etc.  not just digestion.  and my true gluten reaction doesn't start until 24-48 hours after ingestion, first sign is headache/neckache then goes on from there.  lasts 14 days, so i'm pretty careful.  just indigestion comes and goes depending on what i'm eating.....  

Ennis-TX Grand Master
8 hours ago, Goodrose said:

Looking at the wraps I see 2 ingredients that are not gluten but many have issues with that could be your culprit. Pea Protein, is a form of legume some have distention, gas, and vomiting from it...we see it often with stuff like Daiya cheese etc.  The other is Xantham Gum, it can be made from different bases but it is black rot -_- So if you have issues with molds then it could cause issues. They are also super processed...seriously just mix up almond flour/coconut flour, and egg and make a keto tortilla for a wrap or find something with 3-5 ingredients you know and trust.

• 4 months later...
anonymousplease Apprentice

I get "glutened" from Mission's Certified Gluten Free tortillas. I started eating them a couple years ago without issue and then something changed about 1 year ago and they started to make me sick. I've given them 5 or 6 tries since. Gut ache every time. I'm not sure if maybe something happens to them post testing for the gluten or how it's possible for me to get "glutened" by something that is Certified but it's happening. I don't have an allergy to corn or soy. 

cyclinglady Grand Master
11 minutes ago, Ali Rae said:

I get "glutened" from Mission's Certified Gluten Free tortillas. I started eating them a couple years ago without issue and then something changed about 1 year ago and they started to make me sick. I've given them 5 or 6 tries since. Gut ache every time. I'm not sure if maybe something happens to them post testing for the gluten or how it's possible for me to get "glutened" by something that is Certified but it's happening. I don't have an allergy to corn or soy. 

Are you referring to the corn tortillas?  

I only buy the traditional corn (which is certified) because the gluten free version has lots of ingredients that could make someone sick.  What is all that stuff?  For example, I still can not tolerate Xanthan Gum.  Just bought some new WOW certified gluten free cookies at Target.  The lemon ones are delicious, but they made me sick — not celiac sick.   Simple ingredients which I love, but they added Xanthan Gum.  Hubby can eat them fine, but not me.  

So, I stick with Pamela’s flour which uses guar gum and bake my own cookies and I do just fine...except I gain weight eating them!  

It can be hard to figure out if you have been glutened.  For me, it can be a pretty fast reaction (hours), but when it lasts for days, I know that those days will extend to weeks.  In the past, I would try to confirm with an antibodies blood test.  If I consume Xanthan Gum, I have GI upset for only a day or so.  

Edited by cyclinglady
anonymousplease Apprentice

Sorry I meant to include a link. I was referring to these: https://www.missionfoods.com/products/gluten-free-soft-taco-flour-tortilla-wraps/

I don't have an allergy to Xanthan Gum, ruled it out already but it's a good suggestion. I do my own baking and use Xanthan without issue. I agree there are a lot of mysterious ingredients in these but they are not unfamiliar to me at this point, a lot of them are in many of the processed foods that I eat that don't give me a reaction.  These tortillas give me my very distinct gluten reaction every time. It is a light reaction but it's a reaction. I've thought perhaps it could be the outside of the packaging since they often sit on or next to regular tortillas. But I've carefully washed the package and removed them and put them into another container before consuming. I know the packaging says they are Certified, and I'm not encouraging anyone to avoid them, just saying I know for sure these give me a gluten reaction, I've tested them many many times.

cyclinglady Grand Master

One way for you to determine if the tortillas are really a gluten reaction is for you to get repeat antibodies testing.  This can help rule out a celiac flare up.  

The Gluten Free Watchdog has tested these tortillas. They are under 5 ppm.  Again, this product is highly processed (20+ ingredients) that you could be reacting to.  Maybe you are super sensitive?  Your reaction is perplexing!  

I do want to share that I had a gluten exposure two years ago.  It was pretty bad.  I was eating mushy stew for weeks because digesting anything hurt.  I think it was a prescription drug that I took for a tooth infection (3 courses), but I can not prove it.  My DGP IgA antibodies were off the charts.   That same month, I got a cold and then the flu.  I was a mess. Developed autoimmune hives that lasted over six months.  My GI wanted to scope me, but I refused.  I trialed the Fasano gluten-free diet which did not work.  I finally caved and had the endoscopy which revealed a healed small intestine, but I was diagnosed with Chronic Autoimmune Gastritis that was not there when I was diagnosed with celiac disease  five years earlier.  I learned that gluten is not always the culprit.  Oh, I was exposed to gluten when I had my tooth infection,  but my lingering symptoms were not celiac disease related.  

Me?  I am sticking to corn tortillas.  They contain only a few ingredients.  Fits my “real food” motto better.  ?