Seeking2012

I Keep Getting Glutened! Beware Mission Tortillas!

Rate this topic

Not sure if they get distributed outside Canada/PNW, but Que Pasa makes certified gluten-free corn chips and tortillas if anyone is looking for extra safety. They are mainstream in most grocery stores here, and are the least expensive corn chips you can buy. Also legitimately very good.

I've never tried Mission, but I've had problems with gluten-free-labelled tortillas that were presumably made in non-dedicated facilities - these were smaller/local brands though, so less likely to have strict protocols. While corn is definitely on the safer side of things for CC, there is some potential due to shared agricultural equipment/storage as most farms do both wheat and corn in North America. Some studies looking at cereal grains show this too. This may not be a serious concern for most celiacs, but I suppose if you are sensitive and get a mild hot spot this might be problematic? At any rate, I now avoid corn-based products that are not certified since my unfortunate experience of poisoning myself for months with sketchy corn tortillas. 

AFAIK, Que Pasa chips are produced in a dedicated facility. All of the chips they sell, even the flavoured ones are certified, and the only other product they make is salsa (not labelled gluten-free, but has no glutenous ingredients).

Guys shredded cheese isn’t safe for celiac or gluten sensitive patients!  Many companies dust the cheese with gluten to keep it from sticking together they also do it with most candy!  I buy blocks and shred in my food processor!  Look for companies that are dedicated gluten free.  They don’t have to include it on the label because it’s not an ingredient in the recipe!  So crazy right???Also if the place isn’t dedicated gluten free then it isn’t safe for celiacs!  I love against the grain and sharr also for pasta jovial is the best  Good luck out there!  Go zero gluten.  Celiac is such a serious illness! 

4 hours ago, Tinachik said:

Guys shredded cheese isn’t safe for celiac or gluten sensitive patients!  Many companies dust the cheese with gluten to keep it from sticking together they also do it with most candy!  I buy blocks and shred in my food processor!  Look for companies that are dedicated gluten free.  They don’t have to include it on the label because it’s not an ingredient in the recipe!  So crazy right???Also if the place isn’t dedicated gluten free then it isn’t safe for celiacs!  I love against the grain and sharr also for pasta jovial is the best  Good luck out there!  Go zero gluten.  Celiac is such a serious illness! 

This is not true. It is another “ Celiac Myth” being spread around the internet.   When moist, flour gets sticky.  It would not work to keep cheese pieces from sticking. You will see that, at least in the US, they do list what is used to keep the cheese from sticking and it is never wheat flour. 

56 minutes ago, starcaster2358 said:

What is dusted on cheese and many packaged food is cornstarch.

Corn has the same genetic makeup as gluten. Most celiac and gluten sensitive people will react to the corn.  

Actually, it is offen not corn starch these days - it’s cellulose or potato starch.  But, even if it were corn, corn is safe for Celiacs.  The protein in corn is not the same  as they proteins in wheat, rye or barley.  

Numerous studies have failed to detect any immunogenicity by prolamines outside of wheat, barley, and rye. Therefore, corn doesn’t contain gluten,”

https://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/does-corn-contain-gluten/

Edited by kareng

Mission gluten free wraps got me.  Took me two or three times to figure it was the wrap.  Nothing else in meal was suspect.  Got sick within an hour of eating both time.  Meal included Turkey, swiss cheese,  mayo,  lays plain chips.  

6 hours ago, Goodrose said:

Mission gluten free wraps got me.  Took me two or three times to figure it was the wrap.  Nothing else in meal was suspect.  Got sick within an hour of eating both time.  Meal included Turkey, swiss cheese,  mayo,  lays plain chips.  

I haven't tried the Mission wraps.  But the regular corn tortillas are made on dedicated lines and are gluten-free.  I've had them many times without problems.

https://www.missionfoods.com/products/better-for-you/gluten-free-tortillas/

Are you talking about the Mission original gluten-free wraps or the spinach herb gluten-free wraps?

7 hours ago, Goodrose said:

Are you sharing a Mayo jar with a gluten eater?

i have had the plain ones and been fine.  I haven’t tried the new flavor or seen it yet.  Mission has great gluten-free protocols.  They take it seriously.  

Gluten doesn’t make me sick in an hour.  For me? It takes a bit longer.  It actually has to leave the stomach and get into the small intestine and then have time to build a reaction.  

Edited by kareng

I eat mission tortillas allllllllllll the time.  no GLUTEN reaction although my digestion was a little wonky when I first started being able to get and eat them.  I attributed that to different food that was processed so I had a little intestinal distress but not gluten reaction, which includes all sorts of different lovely symptoms such as headache, body fatigue, etc.  not just digestion.  and my true gluten reaction doesn't start until 24-48 hours after ingestion, first sign is headache/neckache then goes on from there.  lasts 14 days, so i'm pretty careful.  just indigestion comes and goes depending on what i'm eating.....  

8 hours ago, Goodrose said:

Looking at the wraps I see 2 ingredients that are not gluten but many have issues with that could be your culprit. Pea Protein, is a form of legume some have distention, gas, and vomiting from it...we see it often with stuff like Daiya cheese etc.  The other is Xantham Gum, it can be made from different bases but it is black rot -_- So if you have issues with molds then it could cause issues. They are also super processed...seriously just mix up almond flour/coconut flour, and egg and make a keto tortilla for a wrap or find something with 3-5 ingredients you know and trust.