BlessedMommy

How I've Grown

Rate this topic

Thanks to all of your support, I feel like I've made such strides and improvement! Thank you for the support and information.

In the past 7 months, I've corrected my CC mistakes in my kitchen, had symptoms resolve that I thought for sure I was stuck with for life, successfully started my kids on a gluten challenge (since July), and learned to advocate for myself. I've learned that it's perfectly okay to refuse all forms of gluten even if you don't have a note from your doctor.  :P

I now have a much easier time saying, "No thank you," to the CC'ed bag of gluten free pretzels or chips or in politely telling someone that I will bring my own food. I've learned that it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of my diet because they only see me in public, they don't see what health issues I might have to deal with.

So thank you, thank you, thank you! I feel like my life is so much better for the support I've received here and I will continue to hang around and support other people so that they can get the same benefits.  :D

For a second there, Ruth, I thought you were going to tell us that you had gained a few inches! That you were taller (or wider)  ^_^

Just teasing you!

I am very happy for you. Give yourself some major props. You worked hard to sort all this out.

Yes, you got some assistance.....and now, you are helping others--- to pay it forward.

It's all good.  :) Cheers, hon !

Thanks  for  sharing  because  this  will help  newbies  truly understand  that  when  us well seasoned celiac people say  it will get  better   it  actually  does with a lot  of  training  &  learning  on the newbie's  end....

Glad  you  found  the  path to a  healthy happy  future.....

For a second there, Ruth, I thought you were going to tell us that you had gained a few inches! That you were taller (or wider)  ^_^

Just teasing you!

I am very happy for you. Give yourself some major props. You worked hard to sort all this out.

Yes, you got some assistance.....and now, you are helping others--- to pay it forward.

It's all good.  :) Cheers, hon !

LOL!! :)

LOL!! :)

I read it that way too!

Glad to hear your strength throughout your post.

It only gets better from here...and paying it forward is what makes this forum so special :)

That would be really something if going gluten free caused adults to all of sudden start growing again! :)

My son stalled growth just prior to gluten removal at 15....he got another inch just before he turned 20 for which he was grateful seeing how his little brother grew to 6'3 ;)

The mistakes that I made were mainly things like using scratched non-stick pans for regular food and then cleaning them and using them on gluten free food. Same with cast iron. I also didn't really know much about wooden spoons and I don't know that my wooden spoons were necessarily dedicated to gluten free food.

I already knew stuff like not double dipping condiments and the like.

After I learned what I was supposed to be doing, I did a kitchen purge and ran my cast iron pan through the self clean cycle of the oven to clean it and reseasoned it. I kicked the non stick pans out of my kitchen (or designated them for gluten food only) and bought new versions for my gluten free food, including replacing an old scratched up non-stick pot with a new stainless steel one. I bought a bunch of new dedicated gluten free utensils and a bunch of other new dedicated gluten-free stuff.

After really cracking down and getting strict on CC, I eventually let gluten back into my house so that my kids could do a gluten challenge. I started getting sick with headaches and some speech issues. I've removed the gluten from my house (other than one bag of pretzels that the kids can eat outside on the lawn) and now I'm not sick anymore. I don't think that it's a coincidence. I think that when my kids are done trialing gluten, I will remove all gluten from the house and whoever can still eat gluten can eat it at restaurants or friend's houses.

That would be really something if going gluten free caused adults to all of sudden start growing again! :)

That would make me very happy, says the 5'4" woman who would love to be at least half a foot taller! ;)

Congratulations, Ruth......you get the gold star on your forehead for learning the ropes correctly!  :)

I have been noticing how you have had some personal growth in the gluten hating area... especially how you have been handling out of the house scenarios.  Thanks for helping newbies!

No prob...have to spread the love around! :)

I used to be the one who would eat things that other people had made as long as they hadn't used any gluten ingredients and hadn't done any obvious CC like using CC'ed peanut butter in it or something. This board has taught me that that's very risky business at best and it's best to just give people a polite, "Thank you, but I prefer to bring my own food."

I don't think that I would've developed that confidence without the support of the board. :)

I used to be the one who would eat things that other people had made as long as they hadn't used any gluten ingredients and hadn't done any obvious CC like using CC'ed peanut butter in it or something. This board has taught me that that's very risky business at best and it's best to just give people a polite, "Thank you, but I prefer to bring my own food."

I am not so good at this. I get such pressure and derision from others (particularly my mother and sisters) when I tell them I want to bring my own food. With others who aren't family, it's far easier, but my family dynamic makes this very difficult with all the eye rolling that goes on. Oh well - this year at the holidays I am going to stick to my guns, because I feel so much better that I don't want to go backwards.