Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pauliewog

Low Gluten Meal (Really?)

I am booked on a Japan Airlines flight from Tokyo to LAX in a few days. I called to book gluten free meal. I have no intention of eating whatever they provide, but I figured I'd rather have gluten-free sitting in front of me than a gluten meal. Anyway, JAL doesn't offer gluten free. They have a "low gluten" meal. I told the agent that was ridiculous. Of course he couldn't do anything about it and probably he doesn't even know what gluten is. I booked it and will see what it is exactly then maybe I can write a letter to the airline after the trip explaining that low gluten is like giving someone with a strawberry allergy "just" 2 strawberries instead of 5!

I agree that it's probably a CYA statement. You see it a lot in Australia as it may be made in a place that has gluten but if it's been tested it's under 3ppm or they haven't tested the food.

I've returned from my trip. The flight attendants asked me if I ordered a gluten free meal. That was the terminology they used. At any rate, I ate the fruit and the yogurt and what I brought on the plane. The "main dish" was some sort of fish in sauce. No way was I going to touch that! Both flights I brought way more food than I needed. No problems with airport security at all.

I've noticed that 'low-gluten' food is becoming very common throughout the world. I do believe it's because of a lot of people going, 'gluten-free'. While this diet craze has been beneficial in many ways, making more gluten-free products available, it seems now that it's beginning to backfire on those of us who actually suffer from celiac disease. 

Rua

Yea thats crazy!

• Forum Discussions

Thank you Ranchers Wife.  Since I'm asymptomatic, I would not know if I had gluten. I cannot imagine having to worry about getting sick from cross-contamination. 
    Hi Jenna1028, They test for DH by taking a small skin biopsy from clear skin next to a lesion.  If you have DH, you have celiac disease.  But, you need to be eating a gluten diet for 12 weeks (gluten challenge) before getting the skin bi...
    @anasss Nobody in this thread has called anyone "ignorant," so please don't say that if it did not happen. Also, the use of all capitals is, in forums and other places on the Internet, generally considered yelling and impolite, and there ...