hazelnutty42

Officially Diagnosed -Celiac And Colitis (Wasn't Expecting Both)

Rate this topic

Talked to my doc yesterday and the Celiac was confirmed. Fine. But I was also told I have Lymphocytic Colitis. After some research, I see those two are often related but I'm wondering which came first? Did one cause the other?  My main question is will the celiac diet also relieve the symptoms of the colitis? The doctor would like me to take a localized steroid for the LC but I really don't want to. Just wondering if anyone else has both and you handle it with food rather than meds. Thanks. 

I am just about to undergo the endoscopy to test for celiac since I was diagnosed with Lymphocytic Colitis and my GI said the LC is usually a symptom of a larger issue -- and closely related to celiac. She does not want to treat the LC until we know the celiac results because she said treating the celiac (gluten-free diet) will help the LC. I'm not entirely sure which comes first, but my GI said she would really like to avoid steroids and if we can control it through diet that would be her preference… so perhaps looking at diet would help avoid the steroids. I will be starting the Specific Carbohydrate Diet after my testing is done. I had great success on it before and am really looking forward to feeling well again (currently on gluten challenge :/)  

Is lymphocytic colitis the same as microscopic colitis? If that is the case I may have both as well. I have a referral to a new GI next month and I wish to rule that in or out for good.

Yes it is the same. Mine was called Lymphocytic Microscopic Colitis. There are two kinds: Collagenous and Lymphocytic (or others I'm not aware of?) LC is more closely related to celiac disease

Is lymphocytic colitis the same as microscopic colitis? If that is the case I may have both as well. I have a referral to a new GI next month and I wish to rule that in or out for good.

Yes, it's pretty much the same. I have chosen to treat the LC through diet. Since the diagnosis, I have been following the "Anti Inflammatory Protocol (AIP)". It's not easy but I'll take that over steroids any day. I feel like I'm going through the Stages of Grief. :-) 

I also have LC and celiac. It's ridiculous. Most GI's will try to tell you that food has nothing to do with it, but I'm beginning to disagree after going off the steroids and having the symptoms all come back.

If you want better advice about diet/etc beyond going gluten free, try this board.