• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

John Burlingame

Getting An Answer From Pepsi Or Coke Is Like Pulling Teeth

Rate this topic

The answer I keep getting, is Natural flavoring. I did mention the site that describes there is a vegetable stated under the description of Natural Flavoring, all I got for a response is, I should not drink it from the manufacture. I was told the Natural Flavoring is used to cover there ingredients because there is no way to copyright ingredients. there has got to be a law about this, at least put down the top allergies that are in the Natural Flavoring they use.

If they use wheat, they have to disclose it.  I have never found a soda pop with gluten.  I drink Pepsi or Coke occasionally. Soy is not a concern for most Celiacs, so I have no idea if there is soy in any soda. 

I'm drinking a bottle of sparkling mineral water with a slice of orange in it. Yummy! No favoring, no sodium, just plain water!

If they use wheat, they have to disclose it.  I have never found a soda pop with gluten.  I drink Pepsi or Coke occasionally. Soy is not a concern for most Celiacs, so I have no idea if there is soy in any soda. 

One thing I do have is a gluten issue, soy is one of my next issues I have to blend with the gluten, cuts out allot of good foods.

I'm drinking a bottle of sparkling mineral water with a slice of orange in it. Yummy! No favoring, no sodium, just plain water!

thats a wonderful idea. soda kinda sucks. I have some watermelon I will try that.

Because soy is also one of the top 8 allergens, it too must be listed in the ingredients. But yeah, soda isn't good for anyone. It's loaded with corn syrup and who knows what else. Good old water is best.

Both wheat and soy are top allergens covered by FALCPA and must be disclosed. Neither PepsiCo nor the Coca Cola Company put anything with either ingredient in any of their carbonated beverages. They won't make a "gluten-free" or "soy-free" claim for legal reasons--they don't test incoming ingredients to see if one of their suppliers has an accidental CC problem. Is CC possible? Yes. It it probable? Definitely not.

Both wheat and soy are top allergens covered by FALCPA and must be disclosed. Neither PepsiCo nor the Coca Cola Company put anything with either ingredient in any of their carbonated beverages. They won't make a "gluten-free" or "soy-free" claim for legal reasons--they don't test incoming ingredients to see if one of their suppliers has an accidental CC problem. Is CC possible? Yes. It it probable? Definitely not.

hey I added a topic on this forum. I put it on another that better represents it. how do I delete or remove a post

you can check out this site. http://blog.onespotallergy.com/2011/09/gatorade-allergy-alert/

Some flavors of Gatorade contain brominated vegetable oil (BVO), which is used to keep citrus flavor oils evenly distributed in the drink (they would naturally rise to the surface).  BVO is also used in citrus-flavored soft drinks such as Mountain Dew, Powerade, Pineapple and Orange Fanta, Sun Drop, Squirt, and Fresca.

The brominated vegetable oil “typically” comes from soy beans. I’m concerned about the word “typically”, and I wonder if other oils are sometimes used, like peanut, canola, sunflower, cottonseed, or corn oil.

If you are allergic to soy, there is enough allergen in these products to cause an allergic reaction. I know of one soy allergic child who went into anaphylactic shock from Gatorade due to the soybean oil.

I had a reaction to orange Fanta soda. And Mountain Dew has always made my shoulders cramp, all my life. Never new why until now.

I had a reaction to orange Fanta soda. And Mountain Dew has always made my shoulders cramp, all my life. Never new why until now.. that was from me not the quote from the web page. Once I took out the main soy and gluten products from my life, I found that the little part of soy or gluten effects me. And I do what research to find if that item has something. And so far everything I have had a reaction to has some form of soy or gluten. I had to threaten a lawsuit just to get the ingredients on one product. I will be more than happy to share my knowledge here. and make sure all facts are a true as possible. No one should have to live like I did.

As has been stated, in the US if soy is in the ingredients it MUST be stated on the label. Maybe you are reacting to something else.

As has been stated, in the US if soy is in the ingredients it MUST be stated on the label. Maybe you are reacting to something else.

Ok, it maybe something else. I will get more info. If I do prove otherwise I will post.

found a great soy free site showing soy free stuf and stuff with soy. down side it does not show gluten free as well. this is a hard diet.

hey I added a topic on this forum. I put it on another that better represents it. how do I delete or remove a post

If you have something like that or something else you see that needs attention, you can click the big red "Report" button on the bottom right of the post to tell the moderators, who can take care of it.  I took care of that other post for you.

While there are some others on here that have to do soy free, and I hear it is a big pain, many of the members here are only going to be able to help you with the gluten side.  Soy has been discussed a bit in the other food intolerances forum, so if you click on that and then use the search box at the top right, you may be able to pull up some helpful past posts.  Overall, both diets are going to have a big learning curve and combining them will add a degree of difficulty, but with both of them if you focus on foods that are not processed (meats, fruit,veggies, etc) and hone your skills on making your own stuff, it will be very helpful in the long run.  After time it will get smoother.

I have a friend with multiple food allergies who keeps an excel spreadsheet on items she requests info on.... that way she can record info and look it up later.  If you are savvy with that program, you could give it a shot, or just get a notebook and record your findings on individual products so you can build your own references.  When contacting companies, kindness goes a long way, and once you threaten a lawsuit it may make them shut out your request.  Honestly, if a company is not going to give out useful info, they are not worth buying from.  Try your best to focus on what you can have, and the pain of the loss will wane with time.

If you have something like that or something else you see that needs attention, you can click the big red "Report" button on the bottom right of the post to tell the moderators, who can take care of it.  I took care of that other post for you.

While there are some others on here that have to do soy free, and I hear it is a big pain, many of the members here are only going to be able to help you with the gluten side.  Soy has been discussed a bit in the other food intolerances forum, so if you click on that and then use the search box at the top right, you may be able to pull up some helpful past posts.  Overall, both diets are going to have a big learning curve and combining them will add a degree of difficulty, but with both of them if you focus on foods that are not processed (meats, fruit,veggies, etc) and hone your skills on making your own stuff, it will be very helpful in the long run.  After time it will get smoother.

I have a friend with multiple food allergies who keeps an excel spreadsheet on items she requests info on.... that way she can record info and look it up later.  If you are savvy with that program, you could give it a shot, or just get a notebook and record your findings on individual products so you can build your own references.  When contacting companies, kindness goes a long way, and once you threaten a lawsuit it may make them shut out your request.  Honestly, if a company is not going to give out useful info, they are not worth buying from.  Try your best to focus on what you can have, and the pain of the loss will wane with time.

Yea, I was very frustrated before I found this site, I have calmed down allot. I usually am a pleasant guy to talk to or hang out with. This Soy and Gluten and Lactose, having to weed it out has been horrible. I'm finally almost on the right track. getting on fruits and veggies has help keep my alive and stay soy/gluten/lactose free. I cant add anything unless I cook it from scratch.