This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can Raw Food Be Bad For Celiacs?

radley

radley Apprentice

They say raw foods are perfectly healthy but I guess that's not true for some celiacs. First time I went gluten-free I felt great, but as my gut was still not fully recovered in the second or third month I started reacting seriously to raw food like pepper and the eggs in mayonaise. I didn't react to eggs in baked gluten-free cakes, nor to cooked peppers though. So I guess some gluten-free people should avoid some raw foods for a while as they may irritate the gut or enter the blood stream. Especially if you don't chew your food enough like me. Anyone agree?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

I think it may be more of a matter of not having the proper gut bacteria that can help with digestion.  

Many people I have talked with about this said that it took them a while to adjust to a greater amount of raw fruits and veggies when their diets changed. Maybe it takes a while to get accustomed to the raw foods.

It could also be other food sensitivities that you are starting to notice.  I did not realiz apples gave me a stomach ache until after I had been gluten-free for quite a while - it was hard to notice a food sensitivity when you usually had a stomach ache after you ate.  LOL  ;)

• 2 weeks later...
chicachik Newbie

They say raw foods are perfectly healthy but I guess that's not true for some celiacs. First time I went gluten-free I felt great, but as my gut was still not fully recovered in the second or third month I started reacting seriously to raw food like pepper and the eggs in mayonaise. I didn't react to eggs in baked gluten-free cakes, nor to cooked peppers though. So I guess some gluten-free people should avoid some raw foods for a while as they may irritate the gut or enter the blood stream. Especially if you don't chew your food enough like me. Anyone agree?

Eggs aren't good for health, raw eggs are worse than cooked. Raw foods are healthy, but only vegetables and fruits (animal products cause many diseases, raw or cooked). It's important a correct food combination (don't combine acids fruits with carbs or sweet fruits, for instance) in order to improve our digestion and well-being.

kareng Grand Master

Raw veggies and some fruits can be hard to digest. Sometimes cooking them will help. Usually, when you heal, you can eat the raw veggies again.

And to address the egg " stuff" - in commercial mayos, the egg is pasteurized or processed in some manner to assure it doesn't have the same germ issues a normal raw egg would have. Cooked eggs can be a healthy part of a Celiac's diet. There are always a few people in the world, Celiac or not, that can't tolerate eggs or some other food.

notme Experienced

I think it may be more of a matter of not having the proper gut bacteria that can help with digestion.  

Many people I have talked with about this said that it took them a while to adjust to a greater amount of raw fruits and veggies when their diets changed. Maybe it takes a while to get accustomed to the raw foods.

It could also be other food sensitivities that you are starting to notice.  I did not realiz apples gave me a stomach ache until after I had been gluten-free for quite a while - it was hard to notice a food sensitivity when you usually had a stomach ache after you ate.  LOL   ;)

nicole is right :)  it's hard to pinpoint when you are sick all the time!  give your diet time, keep a food journal (makes it easier to figure out what is bothering you/what you've eaten and when)  i had trouble with raw foods in the beginning - until i started healing - and it took a long time to get some things 'back' - had to remove dairy for about 6 months, i limited raw stuff for awhile.  probiotics and digestive enzymes were a HUGE help.  depending on how much damage you have to your intestines, it could take awhile.  have patience :)  i had trouble with eggs (and i thought i might have been allergic for a minute) but i can now eat them with no adverse effects.  i have been gluten free for 4 years and am still seeing improvement.  

bartfull Rising Star

Chicachik, could you show scientific proof that "eggs aren't good for health"?

chicachik Newbie

Chicachik, could you show scientific proof that "eggs aren't good for health"?

'The China Study' is a good and available source, but there are many studies that relate meat and eggs intake with cardiovascular diseases, the first leading cause of death in the developed world. We don't just talk about cholesterol but others substance (a good example is homocysteine, which can be a problem in a carnivorous diet).

I think eating eggs in moderation (once or twice a week) won't cause health concern, I'm talking about a frequently consumption (of eggs and/or meat).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

Well, I googled the china study and found more "debunked" articles than "good for you" articles. None were from scientific publications.

This article, though not from a scientific publication, does cite info from Harvard and from the University of Connecticut that say eggs do NOT raise serum cholesterol, and that indeed, eggs are good for you.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/556213-nutrition-debate-are-eggs-good-for-you/

chicachik Newbie

I said the problema wasn't just cholesterol, there are more... Eggs and meat cause cardiovascular deseases, it's a fact.

kareng Grand Master

I said the problema wasn't just cholesterol, there are more... Eggs and meat cause cardiovascular deseases, it's a fact.

Not sure that's a real scientific fact but I'm not arguing with your agenda. It has nothing to do with the Op's question about raw fruits and veggies being hard to digest. Let's stick to the subject.

chicachik Newbie

Ok Kareng!

Raw fruits and veggies are our physiological food, but we've got accustomed to cooked food and the change to raw food can be problematic at first, due to this we must make the change gradually. It's crucial taking into account correct food combinations in order to improve our digestion: melons (watermelon and melon) must be eaten alone, on an empty stomach and not to eat anything within 30 minutes at least, don't mix fruit with your meal (except apples and pears), and don't put sweet and acid fruit together in your stomach.

Look at this picture: our organism is frugivorous and anything less vegetables, fruits, seeds and nuts could be potencially harmful, I'm not saying that every one of us must avoid animal protein or grains, but in the case of illness it's important to bear in mind this.

fruigivores-and-more.webp

radley Apprentice

Hard to digest is an understatement in fact. :rolleyes: I had a full-blown immune allergic reaction aka anaphylaxis. Strangely enough I didn't react to eggs in gluten-free cakes and cooked peppers, only to raw peppers and to the eggs in mayonnaise. And I've never had any allegies as a kid. I guess when you have a leaky gut as a result of years of Celiac, it's easy for whole, raw food particles to enter the blood stream. It is strange how many websites suggest to stick to raw veggies if you have leaky gut, which can be dangerous. That's why I no longer read websites on health and stuff. I don't know what caused it and I hope to never experince that again, but I was so afraid, I felt like I might start to react to any food.

notme Experienced

Hard to digest is an understatement in fact. :rolleyes: I had a full-blown immune allergic reaction aka anaphylaxis. Strangely enough I didn't react to eggs in gluten-free cakes and cooked peppers, only to raw peppers and to the eggs in mayonnaise. And I've never had any allegies as a kid. I guess when you have a leaky gut as a result of years of Celiac, it's easy for whole, raw food particles to enter the blood stream. It is strange how many websites suggest to stick to raw veggies if you have leaky gut, which can be dangerous. That's why I no longer read websites on health and stuff. I don't know what caused it and I hope to never experince that again, but I was so afraid, I felt like I might start to react to any food.

it's funny, because when i was first dx'd, everyone who didn't know much about celiac thought i had to eat a vegetarian diet.  i was like:  noooooo.......  ?   i had a 'not ideal' reaction to mayonnaise, (not anaphylaxic, though, ugh that must be terrible!)  turns out i had a sensitivity to soy.  and, some people are sensitive to veggies in the night shade family, whether temporary or permanent, it is a real issue.  i had a terrible reaction to eggplant many moons ago - so much so that i have never tried to eat eggplant again.  try doing the food journal thing and maybe an elimination diet.  then just eat 'safe' foods <that you have no adverse reactions to) and then you can try adding other foods back in.  you may have to wait until you are healed to reintroduce some things.  good luck!  :)

• 4 years later...
radley Apprentice

Thanks, just upping this, I agree our gut needs to heal before we eat raw nightshades and eggs. Something in the wheat (not just the gluten) activates the immune system, so many of these allergies/intolerances may be temporary due to our immune systems becoming haywire. And once you quit the main offender, it's still overactive and looks for other things to react to.