This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Frozen Chicken Breasts In "broth"

SMRI

SMRI Collaborator

I've been to 3 grocery stores here and they all have frozen bonless, skinless chicken breasts in "broth" of various %'s.   It just says "broth" but nothing about if it is gluten-free or not.  I have some that I buy at home that are not in a broth and they are fine but I don't know about these.  Anyone???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LauraTX Rising Star

I have seen this as well.  I never could find anything on it, but I didn't try very hard since I had other options.  I know a few store brands, including Kroger, that say gluten-free on them.  Technically chicken broth should just be chicken+water, but I would rather be safe than sorry.  Have you emailed the companies yet? 

For frozen chicken breasts, I really like the ones that are individually wrapped and frozen, they usually come in a smaller box in the frozen aisle.  Seems to be the same size box for many store brands, and since they are wrapped they don't need an ice coating to protect them.  You may be able to find those if you keep an eye out.

kareng Grand Master

I think the USDA definition is something like water, salt and chicken juices. You could probably look that up. You can always tell if they have added salt water by the sodium content. Unsalted chicken is about 45mg of sodium per serving ( naturally occurring sodium). Anything much higher has salt water or salted chicken juices added.

SMRI Collaborator

I have seen this as well.  I never could find anything on it, but I didn't try very hard since I had other options.  I know a few store brands, including Kroger, that say gluten-free on them.  Technically chicken broth should just be chicken+water, but I would rather be safe than sorry.  Have you emailed the companies yet? 

For frozen chicken breasts, I really like the ones that are individually wrapped and frozen, they usually come in a smaller box in the frozen aisle.  Seems to be the same size box for many store brands, and since they are wrapped they don't need an ice coating to protect them.  You may be able to find those if you keep an eye out.

I haven't emailed them yet because I have to go back to the store and get the brand names.  I don't think there is a Kroger near me now and I know we don't have any back home.  I can live without eating them, they are just easy to make after a long day at work.  When I get back home, I have options there.  I did see some "organic" chicken breasts that were individually wrapped in a box of 6 but there were no actual ingredients listed and NO price to be found anywhere.  The whole chicken from the same company next to these was priced at $15 so I'm guessing they were about the same....I didn't need them that badly :D.  

Archived