hazelnutty42

Cross-Contamination Worsens After gluten-free?

Rate this topic

After going gluten-free, do you notice that you are even MORE sensitive to gluten?  Last night I made my kids tacos and I can't recall if I used my knife to cut their flour tortilla but I must have because I was sick the rest of the night. I was not usually so sensitive before but now I think I should be more careful. Anyone find this ultra-sensitivity happening? 

Yep, sure seemed like I was more sensitive to gluten after I stopped eating.  I am not sure if that was it or I was just noticing the symptoms more.  It sure doesn't take much gluten to get our immune systems attention.

I don't think I became more sensitive, but I think my reaction became more obvious.  Before I was diagnosed I was constantly feeling poor - it was my normal. After being gluten-free for many months, illness was no longer my normal so if something bothered me, it was much more obvious.  KWIM?

For example, when I had a stomach ache after almost every meal, some major cramping was not unusual.  Now, if I get that pain, it really stands out because I don't have that high background pain level.

I don't think my gluten sensitivity changed, just my reaction and/or how I perceived that reaction.

From what I've read, when you go gluten-free your body no longer produces antibodies for gluten so the answer is yes, you do become more sensitive.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean... Do you mean that the autoantibodies are starting at near zero so the will go higher when you eat gluten?