This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Wife Has Recently Been Diagnosed

Guest soluod

Guest soluod

:angry:

My wife was recently diagnosed by Dr. Spellman (Providence, RI) with Celiac Sprue disease. Does anyone have any ideas or links?

Also, does anyone in the Providence, RI, area know of any good restaurants we can go to?

:blink:<_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kevsmom Contributor

Hi - Welcome to the board!

This is a great place to learn, and to find fellowship in what you and your wife are going through. Read through the messages or serch for answers to specific questions. I know it is all so overwhelming at first, but it will get easier. :o

I'm in Maryland, so I can't help you with your local restaurants. Even if you do find a restaurant that has a gluten free menu, or states that they can make your food to order - be careful. Contamination is a big issue. The food can not be cooked on the same grill or in the same fryer as food containing gluten. Education is important too - even getting a plain salad can be hazzardous. Remember to tell the waiter NO CROUTONS. If they forget, don't just pick the croutons off - send it back. Some salad dressings are not gluten free.

Feel free to ask any questions that you have. Everyone here is in this together. I have only been diagnosed since April and have learned so much. Without my friends here, things would have been so much harder.

Thanks everyone! :)

Guest nini

This entire website is a "one stop shop" it's all you really need in the celiac world to get you started. There are links all over this site to other useful sites and lists. So, you have started in the best place possible!!! You have this great message board support group and the rest of the website with the gluten-free shopping mall to order products and articles to read and many many useful links.

Glad your wife finally got the diagnosis she needs to get better. I was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago and according to my husband, I am now a completely different person (for the better)...

Welcome! And get your wife involved in posting on this site too, it is an invaluable resource!

• 2 weeks later...
jennifer rayburn dehay Newbie

:) Hi, I'm from Colchester, Connecticut, but work in Providence a couple times a week. Yes, your lucky there are three restaurants in your state that serve gluten free meals. Carrabba's, Legal Seafood, and The Outback. I think all are in Warwick.

It is a good idea to go on-line to get their gluten free meal choices before you go. I was just diagnosed this past October and my husband and I have been to The Outback and to Legal Seafood. Both were great.

How are things going? It has been tough for me to make the huge adjustment in diet. My husband, Richard, has been bery supportive. He was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 8 months ago. We worked together to beat his chronic disease and he's doing very, very well. We've learned support from your spouse can make a huge difference in making it through.

Jen

:angry:

My wife was recently diagnosed by Dr. Spellman (Providence, RI) with Celiac Sprue  disease.  Does anyone have any ideas or links? 

Also, does anyone in the Providence, RI, area know of any good restaurants we can go to?

:blink:  <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived