This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Trying To Deal With It

ScyonK

ScyonK Newbie

So I'm 25. I'm new to the forum and I decided to join because I'm just needing support. My gluten diagnosis came from a night shift nurse, after suffering for a year and having an unnessesary surgery the nurse had told me that "Maybe I'm having gluten issues" low and behold, a year later after being gluten free and I'm physically doing a lot better and no longer having to be hospitalized (unless I somehow get CCd, then I still end up having to go to the hospital). The past two years have also made me extremely depressed. I'm normally a social person and I like to go out with my friends and family for dinner but now because of my problem I find it difficult to do. My friends can't afford going to places that understand the severity of cross contamination, whenever I go to a restruant I always feel judged because I have to tell them how to cook something or tell them what to leave off because they apparently don't know what's made out of bread. It's so irritating that I pretty much confind myself to my home and don't go anywhere. I just really wish I could have my life back :( I know some of you may think I'm being over dramatic or that it isn't a big deal but it is to me. I miss going out and having fun with my family and my friends and I pretty much can't do that anymore without sounding like some snob just to order something. I just don't know what to do anymore.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

moosemalibu Collaborator

Welcome to the forum! We always recommend the Newbie 101 thread to read. Lots of great info there!

The depression, isolation and anxiety that you are going through is not uncommon. As someone with a chronic disease diagnosis you're going to have to go through stages of grief over your old lifestyle compared to the lifestyle with which you must lead now to stay healthy. 

Coming here is a great start. We understand where you are coming from. This disease can be difficult on so many levels. Realize that when you are going about trying to keep yourself healthy you're not being a snob! This is YOUR life. You need to protect yourself the best way you know how. 

There are many threads about feeling frustrated, socially isolated and just plain sad. You're definitely not alone. Feel free to continue to vent. :)

Archived