LadyT84

Starting To Freak Out About My Trip

Rate this topic

Hi everyone-

I am leaving next week for a 2 week trip to Niger which is in West Africa to visit my husbands family.  My Dh and I had discussed the food situation previously and he said there should be plenty to eat because most of their food is made with rice/rice flour. I bought a bunch of go picnic meals to take on the plane and to have there when I am in a bind.  Last night DH tells me that I should probably bring breakfast for the whole two weeks, because I probably won't be able to eat any of their breakfast food (bread with Mayo (I don't get the Mayo obsession, its cultural) and tea). So now I am trying to figure out what the heck I can pack for 2 weeks of breakfast.  I have Chex oatmeal, but eating that every day for 2 weeks doesn't sound like a blast to me. I don't really eat cereal because milk gives me heart burn.  Any ideas?

Nuts? Fruit? Dried fruits? Do they have yogurt? Protein bars? Kind bars? Luna bars? Lara bars? Little PB packets? gluten-free granola? Could you make some eggs for yourself? Eat stuff from last night's dinner?

Having oatmeal for breakfast for two weeks may not sound like a blast, but you don't have to just have oatmeal. You can add things too. Have something with it like fruit or yogurt. Remember, while experiencing the local cuisine can be one of the fun things about traveling that isn't always the case for us and you're going to spend time with family. Pack what you know is safe and remind yourself that two weeks is only a very short time. This trip is probably very important to your husband and his family and while your health and protecting it is important, spending too much time focusing on your dietary needs isn't fair to them or to yourself. It may not be exciting to eat oatmeal for two weeks but knowing your have something safe to eat and freeing yourself to have a good time instead will be so much better than worrying about an exciting breakfast.

Will you be in the country or in the city? Ask to be driven to a grocery store to load up on safe foods. Think outside the box for breakfast. I just ate leftover chicken and brussel sprouts for breakfast. I just snacked on some peanut butter. Bring your dunk bags of coffee to tea (e.g. Forgers) just to be safe as I am not sure about product labeling. Drink only boiled water or bottled.

Have fun!